Duty Station: Mutare, Nyamapanda, Chirundu, Plumtree
Classification: General Service Staff, UG
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Ungraded, 3 months with a possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
CFA Reference Number: CFA2020/004
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Within the context of strengthening capacity of national border agencies, including port health and civil society, for COVID-19 pandemic preparedness and response along the mobility continuum in Zimbabwe, and under the framework of the “Scaling up coordinated protection, promotion, and enforcement of human rights for citizens, and vulnerable population of Zimbabwe”, IOM is recruiting field project assistants to support project activities in four points of entries (POEs), namely Forbes (Mutare), Chirundu, Nyamapanda and Plumtree.
Under the overall supervision of the IOM Chief of Mission and in coordination with the Project Manager for the Emergency, Preparedness and Response Unit, the successful candidate will assist in providing general post-arrival support to ‘migrants returnees’ at Points of Entries (POEs) in Zimbabwe.
Core Functions/ Responsibilities
- Provide assistance in implementing project related activities at the POE;
- Maintain contact, close collaboration and working arrangements with relevant stakeholders such as government authorities, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, voluntary agencies, and other relevant partners to ensure smooth project implementation, facilitate information exchange and project cooperation, advance IOM implemented activities and avoid duplication;
- Provide assistance and coordinate enumerators to conduct registration, profiling, and population mobility mapping exercises in identified target areas to produce monthly reports including gender considerations;
- Plan, implement and monitor IOM’s response activities including awareness raising and community engagement, at the PoE in close coordination with the supervisor and relevant units/teams at Country Office;
- Support capacity building activities to implementing partners and Government counterparts;
- Establish and maintain accurate and complete records of all supplies received, stored, and distributed;
- Timely preparation of weekly and monthly activity plans and situational reports and share with the supervisor and relevant units at Country Office;
- Identify opportunities for partnership and cooperation with other humanitarian actors at the field level, including partners contracted to implement on behalf of IOM;
- Monitor project implementation identify problems and propose corrective action to expedite the delivery of project outcomes;
- Provide appropriate data management of beneficiaries, including entering case data into IOM databases in accordance with IOM Data Protection Principles;
- Monitor and assess migration trends and issues and inform IOM Harare Office on migration related developments;
- Provide post arrival safe migration information and protection services to migrants returned through the border point;
- Support timely implementation of IOM activities with other POEs and neighboring districts;
- Perform in any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
(Education, experience and competencies):
- University degree in Social science, International relations, or any related field in an accredited institution;
- Previous experience in support project coordination, administration, logistics is desirable;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with vulnerable groups, especially migrants, women and children, and training in governmental and non-governmental contexts;
- Good writing/communication, presentation, and networking skills essential;
- Excellent spoken and written English is essential and in-depth knowledge of local culture and languages, essential;
- High level of computer literacy in MS Office applications;
- Good knowledge of and experience in migration related project management, advocacy is of added value.
Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Values: Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible;
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct;
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org referring to this advertisement.
Please indicate the location of preference.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 9 June 202
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No late applications will be accepted