UNDP is a key partner to the Global Fund to Fight HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) and is the UN agency assuming the role of Principal Recipient of GFATM for the HIV grant and provides Fund Administrator (FA) Support Services for the TB and Malaria grants in Zimbabwe.
In its role as Principal Recipient, UNDP ensures quality financial management, timely procurement of supplies, and efficient monitoring and service delivery. UNDP’s management role consists in implementing the HIV grant, ensuring financial accountability, and training of national and international counterparts on programme management and financial accountability. In its role as an FA for the TB and Malaria grants, UNDP mitigates the risk of loss of grant funds and ensure that effective risk management measures are in place, ensure that the use of grant funds is in accordance with the approved work plan and budget and in compliance with the Procedures Manual and provides support for non-health procurement.
For the implementation of the Global Fund programme, UNDP Zimbabwe has established a Programme Management Unit (PMU) that will coordinate the implementation of the projects and provide general guidance of Global Fund rules and procedures to all Sub Recipients participating in the implementation of the projects.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Administrative Assistant ensures smooth functioning of the PMU. The Administrative Assistant provides leadership for the administrative functions of the PMU.
The Administrative Assistant serves as focal point for all communication and appointment with the Project Manager coming from the internal and external partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant ensures the following responsibilities:
Ensures smooth functioning of the PMU focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Manages the schedule / calendar for the Project Manager with external and internal parties including visitors from external organizations, other UN agencies, National institutions, Global Fund, UNDP Global fund support team and LFA Missions to the PMU, HQ and country office staff, as well as internal and external meetings, determining priority requirements;
- Assist the Country Office Travel Unit in the facilitation of all international travel for the PMU;
- Prepares of briefing materials for appointments, meetings, missions;
- Maintains rosters of important contacts and telephone lists;
- Prepares moderately complex correspondence, on behalf of Project Manager for his/her signature and making follow-up when required;
- Manages e-mail and correspondence flow, ensuring prioritization and effective follow-up;
- Takes minutes of the PMU Heads of Unit meetings
Ensures provisions of effective communications support to the Project Manager focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Reviews of correspondence for proper clearance prior to the Project Manager’s signature;
- Distributes outgoing correspondence cleared or signed by the Project Manager;
- Directs responses to inquiries or redirect them to the substantive focal points within the PMU;
- Maintains register for all outgoing and incoming and ensure all correspondence is properly filed;
- Maintains of the PMU – Administration filing system;
- Coordinates the information flow in the PMU and follow-up;
- Facilitates information sharing between Project Manager and CO Senior Management;
- Follows up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken;
- Screens all incoming calls and correspondence;
Provides support to effective advocacy of the UNDP and Global Fund PMU activities in close consultation with the Project Manager focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Supports the Project Manager in facilitating his/her interaction with various external partners;
- Maintains information on the Project Manager’s official activities;
- Prepares public information materials / folders as requested;
- Organize official meetings for the Project Manager;
Provides administrative support to the PMU focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains proper control of the supporting documents for Project Manager’s Travel;
- Maintains control system for internal expenditures which ensures that Requisitions and POs are processed in Atlas;
- Assist the PMU Asset Focal Person and maintain the asset register for the PMU assets;
- Initiates request for procurement of office computers and office supplies for the PMU;
- Ensures relevant cost recovery measures are undertaken;
- Ensures that all assets in custody of PMU staff and employees are recorded and a log of movements of assets is kept;
Provides support to effective management of PMU Transportation by focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of PMU Transportation Assistants and ensure that drivers are dispatched, and vehicles are assigned for effective conveyance of PMU staff and visitors to external meetings and missions;
- Management of vehicle maintenance schedule for all PMU vehicles including schedule for timely service, repairs, cleaning, and ensure accurate completion of daily vehicle logbooks by Transportation Assistants;
- Preparation of schedule of monthly fuel usage for all PMU vehicles and ensure accurate payment of monthly fuel invoice;
- Ensure that all required documents and records such as vehicle insurance, vehicle logbooks, first aid kits, maps and office directory, are available for each vehicle;
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrate integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience from within and outside the PMU
- Encourages PMU staff to share knowledge
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized administrative or office management training. University Degree or equivalent in Business Administration or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, HTML etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages,
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Previous UN experience a significant advantage.
- Fluency in English with good verbal and written skills.
Vacancy End Date : 03/03/2020
Related Jobs (8)
Finance and Admin Assistant (Beitbridge, Matobo, NyamiNyami) – (200005GI) on September 17, 2020 Contract