World Vision is a global Christian relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We are a community of close to 40,000 staff working across the world to help change the lives of vulnerable children. Our supporters, partners and staff join forces with communities on the ground to help children enjoy good health, be educated for life, experience the love of God and their neighbors and be cared for, protected and participating in addressing issues that affect their lives. World Vision has been active in Zimbabwe since 1973. Our operations are spread across 9 out of 10 provinces, with a majority of over 1.75 million beneficiaries in rural areas. Our current programs focus on improving the well-being of boys and girls in three priority sectors: health and nutrition, livelihoods and education. We also focus on child protection, gender and disabilities, emergency assistance and resilience building as cross cutting priorities across our programs. If you share the same vision, JOIN US and contribute to life in all its fullness for the children and communities we serve.
Position Title: Agriculture Officer (12)
Location: Guruve, Mt Darwin, Bindura
Project: FAO ENTERPRIZE (4 months)
Purpose of the Position:
Provide support to agricultural sector in the implementation of the agricultural (crop/livestock) extension component of the ENTERPRIZE grant in compliance with donor/grant requirements. The position entails planning, implementation and capacity building of small holder farmers in LISA in order to increase crop/livestock productivity.
Major Accountabilities/ Responsibilities
- Facilitate capacity building of small holder farmers on Low Input Sustainable Agriculture (LISA)
- Establish and support implementation of farmer field schools and Lead Farmer groups to enhance Crop/livestock productivity
- Mobilization and training of Pfumvudza and agroecology
- Training farmer groups, small holder farmers and agricultural public extension staff on Black soldier fly (BSF), moringa production and feed formulation
- Provide regular support and monitoring of Pfumvudza, agroecology, BSF, feed formulation and moringa demonstration sites
- Participate in the planning and monitoring of agricultural (crop/livestock) components of the programme.
- Collaborating and networking with other stakeholders on programming issues
- Produce regular and timely progress reports
Knowledge and Skills
- BSc degree in Agriculture and at least 5 years work experience with a Diploma in Agriculture covering crop and livestock production
- Two to five years’ experience in crop and livestock development work
- Experience in sustainable agriculture, good agricultural practices in crops and livestock, lead farmer methodologies and related initiatives
- Ability to communicate with community structures, other development partners and government agencies.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Clean class 4 Driver’s licence. Ability to ride a Motor Cycle is an added advantage.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
NB: Shortlisting will be done as applications are received. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.