The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT seeks an innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented candidate for the position of Agronomy-at-Scale Data Scientist (Associate Scientist) to work on improving maize and wheat agri-food systems in sub-Saharan Africa and other parts of the developing world. The holder of this position will contribute to the development of the capacities of on-going and future projects in ‘agronomy to scale’ approach (broadly defined by the following key elements: a clear definition of the target area to influence, GIS-assisted sampling frames, field trials with effective experimental designs, spatial-explicit statistical analyses on biophysical and socio-economical information, surveys to learn about inherent variation, and fast, cheap and accurate measurements).
The specific research focus of this position is to develop analytics to guide the targeting of a suite of interventions and model their future impact (yield gap analysis, farm typologies, crop modelling, geospatial analysis, etc.), apply these analytics to existing agronomic and socioeconomic data, and develop methods and tools for cost-effective collection of spatially explicit data by ongoing and future projects. The position will contribute to several research activities focused primarily on sub-Saharan Africa, but may include activities in South Asia and Latin America.
This associate scientist will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Sustainable Intensification Program in close collaboration with other CIMMYT programs and with public, private, local and international partners.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Zimbabwe office, located in Harare.
- Conduct research in various projects having an ‘agronomy to scale’ component in the region, particularly on targeting and impact modelling
- Development of analytics to guide the targeting of a suite of interventions and model their future impact.
- Integration and processing of large datasets from multiple sources.
- Database management.
- Develop and/or adapt ICT-based tools for field data collection of agronomic and socioeconomic data.
- Development of scripts and tools for statistical analysis that can be used by scientists to analyze their data.
- Provide technical support and capacity building for CIMMYT scientists and national partners.
- Provide support to the development of project proposals and reports.
- Produce peer-reviewed research articles.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD degree in agronomy, ecology, or economics with strong background in statistical analysis and computing.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: statistical analysis, mixed linear models, machine learning, crop modelling, geospatial analysis.
- Strong understanding of database architecture, statistics, data visualization, etc.
- Expertise in working with large data sets and the ability to integrate and interpret multi-thematic data.
- Competency in programming in R and/or Python.
- Experience and/or knowledge of farming systems research methods.
- Experience with modelling climatic and/or environmental systems highly desirable.
- Experience with spatial modeling, use of geospatial data, remote sensing and geographical information systems highly desirable.
- An ability to communicate effectively and teach others.
- Demonstrated ability to publish peer-reviewed papers.
- Desire and ability to work respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Proactivity, Problem Solving, Decision-making, Achievement Orientation, Communication and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS19144_Agronomy at Scale Data Scientist. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Wednesday May 20th, 2020. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.