Overview / Objectives of the position:
The ACD-P is responsible for the development of the programme approach, guiding the programmes team and ensuring the quality of programme delivery. Experience in delivering quality programming, on time and on budget are key requirements of a successful applicant. Integrating service delivery between all three programming sectors and promoting evidence-based programming which takes in to account a view of the system, is key to this position, as is a commitment to managing adaptively. The ACD-P has responsibility for line-managing each of the sector leads. The ACD-P has responsibility for ensuring that a cross-cutting agenda (Child Protection, Gender, Government Capacity building) is appropriately embedded in programme design and implementation.
This senior position requires flexibility with regards to working hours. It is also expected that the ACDP would be available outside of the normal working week in case of a crisis or a very urgent issue that needs to be dealt with. The work requires approximately 30% of travel to the field including to the very remote sites. Ability and willingness to travel to locations outside Harare is a must.
Only persons who are eligible to work in Zimbabwe without needing a work permit, can be taken into consideration for this position.
Responsibility 1 – Key Generic Duties
- Provide strategic and programmatic guidance for all projects and programmes within GOAL Zimbabwe
- Define the strategic direction that the organisation should take after careful analysis of the context
- Provide intelligence and support to the Country Director
- Represent the organisation at various and relevant for a.
- Ensuring that GOAL Zimbabwe’s programmes adhere to GOAL strategies, polices and priorities this includes mainstreaming priorities.
- Improving programme quality drawing on resources such as the GOAL technical team, staff capacity development and external advisors.
- Ensuring the effective and timely implementation of projects, through the provision of support and supervision in developing work plans and ensuring they are implemented on schedule through regular Field Monitoring Visits. This will involve working with finance and logistics departments.
- Working with GOAL MEAL Coordinator to ensure there is a robust mechanism to systemically monitor and evaluate all projects in line with donor requirements and GOAL M&E policy
- Supporting the programme team in preparation of Concept Notes & Proposals (including Log Frames & Budgets), to ensure that the final documents are of high quality.
- Coordinating for the preparation of interim and final donor reports that are prepared by the Programmes Officers
Responsibility 2 – Proposal writing and reporting
- Lead on proposal development from a programme perspective and coordinate and manage proposals, including proposal writing when needed
- Manage the Grants & Communications Unit and Programme Leads in all aspects of GOAL Zimbabwe’s reporting activities to Head Office (HO) and donors.
- Ensure the production and submission of interim and final programme donor reports and monitor programme progress
- Ensure preparation and submission of monthly and annual programme reporting requirements
Responsibility 3 – Programme delivery
- Oversee all programme implementation across all GOAL Zimbabwe’s programme sites
- Directly manage programme coordinators and technical team members
- Work with Technical Coordinators to ensure programmes are well designed, delivered on time and on budget, are appropriately monitored and evaluated and delivered as expected to our communities
- Provide leadership and direction in the design and delivery of GOAL Zimbabwe’s programmes
- Ensure solid understanding of the needs, challenges and priorities of the current programme as well as understanding the next steps for the programme at a community level
- Ensure that GOAL is delivering to our communities of operation in an integrated and unified way, which involves leading regular and appropriate forums for information exchange across and between programme sectors, and effective grant and programme planning and management
- Support the development of in country expertise in each sector and supporting a national staff capacity building agenda
- Work with the Country Mainstreaming Focal Point and the mainstreaming team to ensure GOAL programmes effectively mainstream Gender, Child Protection, HIV and Environment.
- Ensure GOAL policies and procedures for programme management are known and are being implemented
Responsibility 4 – Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Oversee the management of the MEAL team
- Support the development of appropriate M&E and programme management tools and systems
- Work closely with the MEAL Co to develop internal mechanisms for knowledge management
- Improve the quality of services provided, through support supervision of key staff, analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt, and review of GOAL and other best practice guidelines
- Provide direction and leadership in making GOAL Zimbabwe CHS (former HAP) compliant
- Ensure the quality preparation and submission of monthly and quarterly MEAL reports
Responsibility 5 – Human Resources
- Direct line management of Emergency Coordinator; MEAL Coordinator; Nutrition Coordinator; Gender Advisor; Provincial Coordinators; Project Managers; Safeguarding Officer
- Ensure the efficient management of GOAL’s programme staff, working with Line Managers and HR to ensure that all staff have relevant objectives, job description and that performance reviews take place.
Responsibility 6 – Financial management and accountability
- Work closely with the Budget, Reporting and Compliance Manager and Program Budget Holders to ensure strong financial management of programme budgets
- Carry out detailed reviews of monthly management accounts and donor status reports with the FC
- Ensure and support Programme Leads (budget holders) to complete regular budget reviews and forecasts and have the information required for accurate budget management and planning.
- Assist where required with in-country donor financial audits.
Responsibility 7 – Representation and senior management
- Represent GOAL in liaison with Government partners, regional and local authorities; donors; local agencies etc. at all levels of project implementation in collaboration with and as determined by the CD
- Actively participate in the Strategic Planning Group and Senior Management Team to provide overall leadership and direction to the programme
- Support in the development of policies aimed at improving quality and efficiency of programme
- Ensure GOAL policies and procedures as related to programmes to ensure GOAL and donor compliance
Responsibility 8 – Media/PR/visibility
- Guide the development of publicity materials, including project and programme brochures, case studies and press releases
- Actively participate in donor and/or media visits to field activities
Responsibility 9 – Other
- Ensure logistics, Procurement, ICT, HR and finance protocols are followed by all programmes team members, and collaborate closely with Internal Audit and Compliance & Ethics staff to ensure the integration of compliance concerns into the work of the programme department;
- Work with the Systems Director to ensure appropriate logistics involvement at all stages of the programme cycle;
- Carry out other duties as requested by the Country Director.
Requirements : Technical & Functional skills skills
- At least five years experience gained in humanitarian, recovery and development settings outside of Zimbabwe-
- At least three years at a senior management level with demonstrable ability to lead a team of technical and support staff overseeing a large and complex programme;
- Experience and knowledge of market system strengthening and a working knowledge of M4P methodologies will be a strong advantage-
- Previous experience working with private sector organizations within a development /humanitarian context-
- Strong technical knowledge in the following sectors: health, nutrition, WASH, food security, market system and economic development, cash-transfer programming-
- Comprehensive understanding of resilience, behavior change and inclusion approaches.
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline;
- Demonstrable previous experience in programme planning, budgeting, implementation and review;
- Experienced and confident in representation with government at all levels, with institutional donors and with UN agencies and NGOs;
- Excellent management skills with the ability to quickly re-prioritise activities to meet the demands of the programme;
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills with the ability to lead teams to reach consensus on complex and/or divisive issues;
- Commitment to capacity building staff and nationalising positions where possible;
- Excellent presentation, oral and writing skills;
- Enthusiastic and willing to work as necessary to meet the needs of the programme.
Interested individuals can get a detailed job specification and prompts on how to submit the application by clicking “APPLY NOW”
All applicants should be prepared to upload an application letter; and a Current CV with full contact details of at least three contactable references. Please note tha
Related Jobs (38)
Technical Officer – Integrated HIV Services (Harare) on November 29, 2020 Full Time
Protection and Accountability Officer (Bulawayo / Harare) on November 29, 2020 Full Time
Individual Consultant – Evaluation of UNCC:Learn project in Zimbabwe on November 29, 2020 Consultancy
Provincial Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (Manicaland) on November 27, 2020 Contract