Job Duties and Tasks
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise journalists/interns.
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Plan the contents of publications according to the publication’s style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room before publication production.
- Develop story or content ideas, considering the reader or audience appeal.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding the placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
- Assign topics, events, and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
- Read, evaluate, and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Supervise and coordinate work of reporters and other editors.
- Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations to the publisher.
- Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on the assessment of items’ significance and interest value.
- Interview and hire writers and reporters or negotiate contracts, royalties, and payments for authors or freelancers.
- Direct the policies and departments of newspapers, magazines, and other publishing establishments.
- Social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube,
- Ability to host online webinars, conferences in fluent English and occasionally Ndebele/Shona
Please attach the Following With Your Application to email@example.com
- Updated CV
- Links to business articles you have written online.
Please only apply if you have the relevant experience as per our job ad.
You will be notified by email if have been shortlisted for an interview in Harare.
Should you not hear from us, please treat your application for this job as unsuccessful.