About Zimbabwe Environmental Law Association (ZELA)
ZELA is a public interest environmental law association. ZELA is looking for two lawyers to join our team as Bertha Justice Fellows in January 2021. To work across the range of programmes including Extractive Industries and Mining, Responsible Investments, Land and Natural Resources and Climate Change and Energy,
About the Bertha Justice Fellowship
The Bertha Justice Fellowship Program is training the next generation of human rights and movement lawyers in pursuit of social justice. Sponsored by the Bertha Foundation, the Program provides two-year fellowships to emerging lawyers at the best public interest law centers around the world. Fellows gain practical experience working alongside renowned professionals and build connections with a global network of like-minded Fellows and more senior lawyers for solidarity and mentorship. The Program will train 1,000 lawyers – who are motivated to work alongside activists and storytellers – in the next ten years.
- Help in the establishment and operationalisation of the Litigation unit to promote ZELA’s programming;
- Assisting in strategic litigation cases;
- Research in support of advocacy and litigation activities;
- Conducting field research in communities;
- Drafting pleadings and legal opinions;
- Assisting in the drafting of research reports;
- Providing input into draft policies and legislation;
- Preparing documents for, and appearing in court;
- Liaising with clients, counsel and partners;
- Representing ZELA in civil society forums.
- A registered lawyer with an LLBS or equivalent;
- A demonstrated interest in human rights work and social justice;
- A strong interest in research as a component of lawyering;
- Good oral and written communication in English;
- Proficiency in other Zimbabwean languages will be an advantage;
- Proficiency in MS Office;
- Ability to commit for two years.
Interested and qualified candidates who meet the above requirements should send their motivational letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we are looking for candidates who wish to pursue a career in social justice.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Individuals from previously and currently disadvantaged community groups are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 15 December 2020