VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organization that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
To lead, direct and manage a multi-million strategic DFID funded inclusive education programme for a consortium led by VSO in Africa. The Chief of Party has overall responsibility for providing leadership in programme implementation and delivery of desired results in accordance with DFID rules and regulations and VSO standards. The role holder will lead the programme management team, ensuring responsiveness to the donor and other stakeholders, providing high-level oversight and ensuring that the programme resources are allocated and used effectively and in a manner that makes maximum contribution to the agreed objectives.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- 10+ years of experience in direct programme management of large and complex donor funded education programmes and a proven ability to oversee multiple activities simultaneously in several locations
- Substantial experience at senior management level, managing multi-disciplinary teams, including child protection/safeguarding, risk and security management
- Proven ability in financial management, compliance, tracking activity performance and costs
- Demonstrated progressive experience of working with development agencies and organisations, high-level national, state and local government officials, civil society leaders, community leaders and primary actors
- Extensive experience of working in the areas of state and local governance, policy and public administration reform, public financial management and procurement, citizen participation and conflict resolution
- Deep understanding of, and experience in implementing national reforms to improve and strengthen education standards in environments without sector budget support while cognizant of the local political economy.
- Excellent organisational, analytical, verbal and written communications skills in English
- Experience of using IT tools – word, excel, power point and advanced data visualization
- A minimum of master’s degree (equivalent) in Education, International Development, Social Sciences, International Relations or a similar related field
- Experience as Chief of Party or Programme Director for DFID funded projects
VSO is committed to promoting equal opportunities for women and men from different caste, ethnic and religious backgrounds and encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
Application Closing Date : 31 Mar 2020