The Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS) was established through an Act of Parliament (Act No: 17 of 2004) as a semi- autonomous independent legal entity to facilitate revenue collection by creating a more professional and accountable tax and customs administration. BURS is soliciting interest from business astute individuals with a proven track record of excellence and incisive leadership to take on the helm of BURS as Commissioner General who is the Chief Executive Officer of the organisation, on a fixed-term contract basis.
As the Commissioner General, the incumbent will be appointed by and accountable to the Minister of Finance and Economic Development through the BURS Board in accordance with the provision of Section 22(1) of the BURS Act.
The incumbent will be responsible for providing the necessary strategic and operational leadership required to ensure that BURS facilitates trade and economic growth, meets its revenue targets, as well as, enhances the ability of Government to broaden the tax base and thereby increase revenues from domestic tax sources.
The incumbent will be responsible for among others, the following:
- Leading the development of BURS strategic plan in order to provide strategic direction to the organisation.
- Facilitating planning and fostering an integrated approach to revenue and tax management. • Providing advice to Government regarding the review of tax legislations, policies, strategies and procedures with a view to optimising revenue collection and close the tax gap.
- Overseeing all policy formulation in the organisation to facilitate implementation and compliance with relevant legislation.
- Ensuring the identification and monitoring of economic, business, political and technological trends and activity that impact BURS.
- Liaising with neighbouring and international tax authorities and regimes on matters of common interest in order to protect and promote the interest of BURS.
- Advising and guiding the Board of Adjudicators regarding interpretation of various relevant legislation. • Overseeing the attraction, retention and development of staff in order to meet BURS mandate.
- Ensuring adherence to relevant international standards and conventions
With a staff complement of over 1500, as Commissioner General, the candidate should have a strong operational and strategic leadership skills as well as proven credentials necessary for one to perform the job. The right candidate must meet the following minimum requirements, among others;
- Master’s Degree in Taxation, Customs, Economics or related;
- Additional post graduate studies in taxation related discipline, Membership of an internationally recognised institute of professional accountants such as ACCA or CIMA, would be an added advantage.
- Possess at least twelve (12) years relevant post Bachelor’s Degree experience in a senior strategic management role in a financial environment.
Closing date: 18 March 2020
Related Jobs (21)
District Strategic Information and Evaluation Officer on September 21, 2020 Full Time
Production of a Transitional Justice Monitoring Report on September 18, 2020 Consultancy
Mobile Money Marketing and Operations Manager ( Telecommunications) on September 18, 2020 Full Time