Location: Harare, HA, ZW
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood and we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity.
We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. In Zimbabwe, we have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 31 years. Plan International operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity.
Communications Coordinator Job Description
Reporting to Communications Specialist, the job holder will be responsible for providing support to conceptualize, design and implement communication strategies & activities for Plan International Zimbabwe.
Communications – Social Media/Network engagement/Content Planning and production
- Collect and compile success stories from each Program Unit and Thematic area, ensure consistent framing of messages and share with internal and external audiences.
- Manage and produce written and visual/multimedia content for email listserv, website, and social media networks to raise the visibility of Plan International Zimbabwe.
- Write and design regular content for website and email list.
- Develop and post regular content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and other social media platforms.
- Plan and manage projects that use visuals, video, and/or multimedia storytelling to support Plan International work. Potential projects could include producing short web videos or infographics on timely issues, supervising design consultant work, and designing visibility products.
- Support Program Units in ensuring adherence to communication policies, protocols, standards and brand compliance.
- Assist in the facilitation of information sharing of Plan Zimbabwe’s proud moments locally and internationally through bulletins, magazines, Comms alerts and other forms of media.
- Manage Plan International Zimbabwe website, including overseeing the production of new content and shepherding its ongoing development.
Communications – Media Relations
- Build relationships with media outlets and key communications partners that will lead to mainstream media coverage of the Plan International Zimbabwe events.
- Track news coverage of the Plan International Zimbabwe and its key issues.
- Respond to media requests in a timely manner.
- Work with program team members to generate and release media advisories, press releases, and statements and proactively pitch outlets around key issues.
- Train children facilitators and participants on radio program production and information management, ensure well function of child-led media clubs in selected Program Areas.
- Develop and incorporate new communications tools and creative disseminations strategies to strengthen the Plan International Zimbabwe programming.
- Keep track of current issues and strategies in the Child Rights Sector to leverage opportunities for Plan International Zimbabwe communications.
- Support the implementation of new communications initiative with regular review of the program audiences and the communication channels to reach each audience.
- Provide opportunities for children to participate in media related programs to promote the rights of children.
- Plan, promote and implement low cost events that showcase Plan International Zimbabwe services and mandates, successes and achievements; and increase Child rights awareness through public information.
- Promote Plan’s child protection & gender mainstreaming policies and procedures among partners, communities, and associates with whom Plan is working.
- A Degree in Communication, Journalism, Mass Communication or Public Relations
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Must have current knowledge of the communications and or media field
- Hands on experience of web publishing and video production
- Proficiency in MS office tools
Skills and Behaviours
- A team player with high integrity& interpersonal skills
- Good analytical, communication & problem solving skills
- Strong documentation and presentation skills
- Strong team building and motivational skills
- Negotiation, facilitating and influencing skills
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant applications
- Energetic and motivated individual
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Results focused and articulate
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements are required to submit their curriculum vitae & cover letter outlining their suitability for the position. Plan International takes very seriously the responsibility and duty to ensure that we and anyone who represents us does not in any way harm or place at risk children and young people. In this regard, reference & background checks will be performed including clearances on child related offences in conformity with Plan’s Safeguarding Policy.
This position is open to Zimbabwean nationals.
Location: Zimbabwe (Harare)
Type of role: Fixed Term Contract
Duration: 4 Months
Closing Date : 20 June 2020