Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Communications Specialist, the position supports UNOPS’ global communications network and assists in the enhancement of all aspects of the organization’s online capacity.
The Communications Senior Assistant post is located in the Communications Unit, UNOPS office in Harare; the incumbent works in close collaboration with colleagues across the organization to enhance general communications outputs including media relations, content gathering, digital publication, event management and stakeholder engagement.
- Supporting the implementation of communications strategies and procedures
- Assisting with management of media relations
- Assisting with gathering content from field offices and Technical Agencies
- Assisting with content management of UNOPS-ZPIU website and social media platforms
- Contributing to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of communications strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of communications activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Input to the elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in the UNOPS-ZPIU, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2. Assists with effective management of media relations:
- Establishes an exhaustive, up-to-date, verified media contact listing.
- Builds professional relationships with local media representatives to enhance the dissemination of UNOPS-ZPIU news and information updates.
- Assists in positioning UNOPS-ZPIU as a thought leader and credible source of information around early recovery initiatives, sustainable infrastructure and gender parity.
3. Contributes to high quality content gathering from various sources:
- Liaises with Technical Agencies and Implementing Partners to gather high quality content from operations including beneficiary interviews, photos, videos, etc.
- Creates a range of information, education and communication materials for public dissemination.
- Ensures proper cataloguing of content on shared drive for easy retrieval.
4. Ensures efficient digital content management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identifying, in collaboration with UNOPS-ZPIU colleagues, suitable information to appear on the UNOPS-ZPIU project websites, intranet and project social media platforms as well as gaps in existing content
- Researching, writing, editing and publishing online content that is clear, concise, vivid, and effectively conveys key messages to target audiences
- Creating appropriate graphics/images for inclusion with written content
- Assisting with development, support and management of UNOPS-ZPIU project websites and social media content, promoting usefulness, branding and navigability
- Identification of web translation needs on an ongoing basis; liaison with translators on translation of web content into Shona.
- Ensuring consistent branding and visual image on the UNOPS-ZPIU project websites and social media platforms by promoting uniform fonts, formatting, icons, images and layout in line with UNOPS-ZPIU communications strategy
- Assisting with development and implementation of an online communications strategy, including liaising with partners, optimizing the website and social media platforms’ content for search engines and directory services.
- Suggestions and implementation of new elements such as audio-visual elements, text elements in a highly creative style
5. Ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supporting with input and update of accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring and evaluation of project activities, and to institutionalize and disseminate knowledge.
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with colleagues and clients.
- Assisting with training of new temporary personnel on office methods systems and procedures
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall execution of communications strategies in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Clear, concise and vivid content will enhance UNOPS-ZPIU capability in targeting a range of audiences across multiple platforms.
- Completion of Secondary education is required;
- First university degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or other relevant discipline is an asset
- 5 years’ experience in online content publishing and copy writing;
- Experience in media and public relations is required;
- Experience in drafting and editing skills in English and Shona is an added advantage;
- Experience in optimizing website content and use of graphic design softwares is an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required;
- Knowledge of Shona Language is an added advantage;
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.