A human rights organisation seeks the services of a Consultant to capacitate civic activists, democracy campaigners as well as other governance civil society players (hereafter referred to as target groups) on advocacy skills to participate in key policy processes on service delivery and accountability at the national and local level. The purpose of the training is to build requisite skills of the target groups to become more effective in demanding accountable governance, relevant legal and institutional reforms for improved service delivery.
The overall purpose of the consultancy service is to train target groups on community-based policy advocacy and civic groups on national level advocacy to influence reforms and democratic practices including promoting rule of law by considering the relevant contents covering: an in-depth understanding about concept of community- based public advocacy; identification of community issues; developing community action plan; advocacy, campaigning, steps in a dynamic advocacy process; methods, tools, strategy, strategic communication technique and developing advocacy messages.
Specific objectives of trainings and manual developed
It is expected that the trainings will lead to:
- Enhanced advocacy skills for target groups to participate in the democratic discourse;
- Increased informed participation in civic engagement by target groups;
- Improved understanding of advocacy strategies at the local and national levels.
Scope of training
The Consultant will be expected to:
- Provide six- two (2) day community-based advocacy capacity building trainings;
- Develop a local level training manual;
- Training session plans; organize;
- Mobilize and facilitate the training sessions;
- Produce the training reports.
The capacity building training should be highly participatory, with the aim of enabling participants to practice skills, use tools and techniques and develop competencies during the training, which they will be able to apply in their work. The training should be a mixture of interactive presentations, collaborative group activities, case studies and group discussions. A range of training methods should be used throughout the training, including activities reflecting different learning styles. Training proposal that include pre or post learning to supplement the face-to-face sessions will also be considered.
The Community-Based Policy Advocacy Capacity Building Trainings are expected to run for seven months and to be completed by the end of September 2020.
The consultant is expected to deliver the following:
- Conduct six two (2) days training sessions targeting 30 people per session;
- Develop training proposal, budget, implementation work plan, and training report;
- Submit report upon completion of the training.
Qualifications and competencies of consultant
The Potential Consultant must have:
- An advanced degree in Social Sciences or Law;
- Be a competent trainer in the field and have relevant experience including significant experience of delivering trainings, particularly within the development sector;
- Have at least produced a manual for local level advocacy ( A copy of the manual should be submitted with the application for consultancy;
- Minimum of five (5) years relevant experience (providing advocacy trainings to non-governmental and development organizations, developing manuals);
- Ability to work with diverse participants;
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills;
- Expertise in leading advocacy/campaigning/policy influencing work;
- Fluency (verbal and written) skills in English language;
- Published, to provide two writing samples.
The application must include the following;
- Training proposal, budget, a sample manual for low literacy communities that has been produced and Consultant’s curriculum vitae, references of other similar assignments.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the following reference in subject line: Civic engagement/ community – based advocacy capacity building training consultancy.
Deadline: 21 April 2020
Related Jobs (25)
Grants and Compliance Manager – Key Populations Programme on July 2, 2020 Full Time
Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director – Key Populations on July 2, 2020 Full Time