Main Purpose of Job
A new role, the Corporate Services Officer will lead on the finance management. You will also work closely with the Corporate Services Manager to ensure the effective and efficient day-to-day running of the Embassy’s Administrative Corporate Services team ensuring excellent service delivery, value for money, a strong compliance to both governance and compliance.
You will be the first point of contact for all finance related enquiries from within the Embassy and the wider network, with key areas of responsibility around finance, compliance, general administration and management.
Roles and responsibilities:
The British Embassy Harare is the headquarters of all UK government business in Zimbabwe. We employ more than 100 people in a variety of roles, including diplomats, development advisers, project managers, communications specialists, security personnel and maintenance staff. We have a fleet of vehicles and significant IT, finance, HR, logistics and physical security operations. Our Corporate Services team is responsible for the embassy’s operational platform.
The Corporate Services Officer has day-to-day operational responsibility for the finance function at post as well as management responsibilities, answering directly to the Corporate Services Manager and countersigned by the Deputy Ambassador.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the efficient delivery of high-quality services in all corporate services areas, specifically finance and administrative functions.
- Financial Management- management of the post budget, forecasting, development of a long-term financial outlook. Ensuring that the finance at post is compliant, key approver for bulk of strategic financial activities
- Identifying UK government financial compliance and implementing procedures to ensure post compliance.
- Long-term planning to ensure the consistent provision of financial planning specifically around business continuity planning.
- Setting clear performance standards and managing a portion of the team directly.
Financial Management 40%
- Assist the CSM with budget management by leading the monthly budget forecasting and budget profiling and monitoring through the month
- Responsible for coordinating the mid-term financial planning process
- Accountable for managing the BMZ travel budget and reporting.
- Accountable for managing GPC cards transactions manually and on PRISM, and ensuring that our GPC cards FPCI scores remains in green and above 90%
- Accountable for ensuring that all purchase order requisitions on PRISM are approved in line with delegated authority.
Risk and Compliance 15%
- Accountable for undertaking periodic financial audits of primary financial and risk activities of the FCO in Harare.
- Accountable for ensuring that all internal audit reports/ACCA are followed up and that all issues raised are attended to and resolved in a timely manner.
- Act as the project officer for all internal financial activities e.g. ACCA, audit preparation, etc.
- Accountable for managing staff advances by ensuring timely acquittal of all advances and the appropriateness of transactions.
- Accountable for monthly payroll
- Accountable for managing the stationery stock levels.
- Accountable for IT provisional at post
- Accountable for compliance to the FCO administrative guidance on FCO net.
Staff Administration/Management 20%
- Accountable for the Line Management of three staff (Accountant/ITSO, Protocol Officer, Corporate Support) and their subordinates
- Counter-signing officer of staff (Receptionist)
Development/FCDO Financial support 10%
- Supporting and working cross mission with the development team to ensure transparency and alignment
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure)
- Accountable for the Line Management of four staff (Accountant/ITSO, Transport Manager, Protocol Officer, Corporate Support)
- Responsible for day to day post budget management/ specific budget line management to be agreed
- At least 5 years experience of working in corporate services, or similar environment
- High level of people skills – leadership, management, organizing, influencing, persuading, listening, and giving feedback
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral, one-to-one, group, formal presentations – ability to vary style, pace and presentation to suit the audience
- Creative thinking and problem solving abilities
- Financial management skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (excel, word)
- Language Proficiency: English
- Professionally recognised qualification in Business/office management;
- Experience of working in Embassy/High Commissions and NGOs;
- ACCA Diploma
- Making Effective Decisions,
- Leading and Communicating,
- Delivering Value for Money,
- Delivering at Pace
Application deadline : 19 November 2020
Grade : B3 (L)
Type of Position : Fixed Term
Working hours per week : 37
Duration of Post : 36 months
Region : Africa
Country/Territory : Zimbabwe
Location (City) : Harare
Type of Post : British Embassy
Number of vacancies : 1
Starting salary : USD 2725.77
Start Date : 4 January 2021
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Harare are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Zimbabwe
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- HM Treasury has issued an instruction to Government departments employing staff overseas, where they are not liable to local tax, that their salaries should be abated by an equivalent amount. The British Embassy currently has not implemented this policy, however, reserves the right to do so in future.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Zimbabwe will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
Offered SalaryUSD 2725.77