CARE began working in Zimbabwe in 1992 in response to a severe regional drought. After establishing a drought mitigation program, CARE began longer term developmental programs with local partners in building small dams, strengthening local microfinance institutions, and launching projects to assist small businesspersons in the rural areas.
CARE Zimbabwe’s overall goal is to empower disadvantaged and poor households to meet their basic needs. Programs promote sustainable livelihoods of poor and vulnerable people.
The organisation seeks to recruit outstanding candidates who are known for their excellence, professionalism, integrity and who are committed to providing support to vulnerable communities in remote locations of the targeted provinces. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position posted below.
The Database Manager will develop and maintain the project’s databases. S/He will create data storage and retrieval systems, troubleshoot database issues, and implement database recovery procedures and safety protocols. S/he will also supervise the daily activities of field and central databases.
Key duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses database needs in collaboration with the M&E Lead.
- Arranges, tracks and reports project information in collaboration with the project staff at PMU, Provincial and District level.
- Develops and creates relational management database systems using object oriented software programming languages such as Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Develops and formats program electronic M&E data collection tools such as beneficiary registrations, surveys and output monitoring tools.
- Defines users and enables data access according to user-type, in appropriate format in a timely manner and monitoring and documenting user access to applications, applying state of the art security protocols and following defined procedures in the event of security breaches and data are compromised;
- Using high-speed transaction recovery techniques, provides back-up of databases and routine maintenance of ICT equipment;
- Provides proactive and reactive data management support and training of users and minimizing database downtime by regularly monitoring database performance and managing parameters to provide fast query responses;
- Determines, enforces, and documents database policies, procedures and standards and performs regular tests and evaluations to ensure data security, privacy, and integrity;
- Develops new systems to capture new information and extracts information from the database, submitting to the M&E lead and other users.
- Produces custom queries and standardized data reports as required by different program areas, especially for analysis purposes;
- Formats and consolidates outcome data and runs validation scripts to support reporting
- Manages and maintains the helpdesk system;
- Responds to any system challenges encountered by the database users in reporting;
- Sets up data storage facilities, backups, and ensures the database is secured and protected.
- Installs, configures and supports the Web Server, Master Servers for mobile data collections.
- Arranges trainings and trains staff on project database issues.
- Create maps and graphs, using GIS software and data collection equipment.
- Gather and report on GIS data and determine how data sets are best utilized through GIS
- Bachelor’s degree in management information systems (MIS), computer science, information systems, or information technology.
- 3-5 years of experience in database management with 2-4 years of experience designing, developing, and producing reports from a database application
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Structured Query Language (SQL) and in-depth knowledge of database technologies, architecture, and data security.
- Knowledge of best practices in database management.
- Advanced analytical, leadership, and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to the importance of gender and youth issues in food security programming.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity and Diversity, as evidenced in previous positions / programming.
Deadline: 25 November 2020