Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons for the following post:
- NB: Midlands State University is an equal opportunities employer.
In the interest of promoting gender parity, female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Keeping records of all activities that go on at the construction site i.e. materials requested, delivered, labour, day worked, subcontractors on site, plant and equipment, site meetings and visits, site instructions and any problems that may affect the progress of the project (weather, industrial action, material shortages etc.)
- Filing of the above records in a proper manner that allows easy retrieval
- Submitting daily, weekly and monthly progress reports as appropriate and directed.
- Receiving and recording construction drawings issued by project consultants.
- Ensuring that all site and occupational health and safety measures are observed.
- Directing construction inspection, project supervision and monitoring.
- Liaising with contractors and consultants on site and ensuring that general specifications are met and construction procedures are executed properly.
- Taking measurements and quantities of such works that may be covered by the contractor before Quantity Surveyor, Civil Engineer or any other consultants carry out measurements.
- Assisting the Deputy Director of Maintenance with maintenance planning and general maintenance of University infrastructure – water supply, waste water, access roads, buildings, grounds and amenities.
- Ensuring that all materials meet specifications and are properly stored.
- Responsible for the co-ordination and control of the project from the design stage, through to completion and the handover of the project to the client.
- Carrying out any other technical duties as assigned by the Director of Projects and Maintenance.
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in Civil Engineering or in Architecture or any equivalent from a recognized institution
- A Masters in Construction Project Management is an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years practical and hands-on experience in low and high rise building construction supervision and a good appreciation of building and infrastructure maintenance.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings is a definite requirement.
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision.
- The job suits a self-starter with ability to distinguish between good and poor workmanship
Applicants must submit six sets of applications, certified copies of certificates, transcripts, national identification and Curriculum Vitae giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, experience, present salary, date of availability, contact details, names and addresses of three referees addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar (Human Resources)
Midlands State University
P Bag 9055
Closing date for applications is 20 April 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be communicated to.