Reporting to the Country Director, the MEL Director will oversee the monitoring, evaluation and learning components of projects (ZHCT, DREAMS, and MNCH-FP) implemented by FHI360 in Zimbabwe. S/he will develop monitoring, evaluation and reporting (MER) systems that include appropriate indicators, baseline data, targets, and a plan to evaluate performance and produce timely accurate and complete reporting. The incumbent will lead, advise, and supervise Harare based and field staff in the development and implementation of all MEL policies, procedures, and practices. The selection of the final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Oversees the shared platform for monitoring, evaluation and learning activities of FHI360 in Zimbabwe
- Lead the design, development, planning, and implementation of project technical strategies. This includes development and dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and intervention linked research;
- Develop strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components;
- Lead the development and monitoring of MEL and work plans;
- Work closely with the heads of projects to ensure compatibility and coordination within the M&E framework, and consistency with national and donor requirements;
- Responsible for providing technical assistance, developing and setting up systems for the timely collection, management, analysis, and reporting of valid and reliable data that meet donor reporting requirements;
- Focus on strengthening the M&E system, building capacity of partners and staff, and improving alignment and support to host-country M&E systems; and
- Develop and lead the implementation of a robust learning agenda for continuous learning, collaboration and adaptation.
- Undertake periodic reviews of program and/or country M&E systems, and participate in planning M&E system strengthening actions.
- Provide guidance on information systems for quality assurance, as well as best practices documentation and reporting.
- Oversee the publication and dissemination of information on successful and promising approaches, lessons learned and other program results to program partners, donors, Government of Zimbabwe counterparts and other key stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability to work well with others including project staff, government counterparts, implementing agencies.
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume work flow
- Excellent report writing, analytical, and communication skills, including oral presentation skills.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills and ability to articulate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong skills using MS Excel Word, PowerPoint and Access, and at least one data management software program (SAS, SPSS, Epi Info, Atlas.ti. ) and experience training others in its use is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies.
- Ability to travel within Zimbabwe 25% time.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master’s Degree or higher in Monitoring and Evaluation, Public Health, Demography, Health Management, Social Science, Biostatistics, Statistics, or any related field is required.
- 8+ years’ experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Research efforts in health related programs.
- Demonstrated expertise in rigorous quantitative and qualitative research and analytical methods;
- Experience with a USG-funded project as well a health-related projects is preferred.
- Commitment to consistently producing accurate and timely reports
- Extensive experience in knowledge management and dissemination of research findings.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.