Location : Harare, ZIMBABWE
Application Deadline : 12-May-20
Additional Category : Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract : Internship
Post Level : Intern
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Jun-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 6 months
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Economics Advisor, the Economics Intern supports both economic research, and project implementation. The intern will be primarily responsible for collecting and analyzing economic and financial data, curating research, and providing support for the implementation of projects in the areas of Aid Coordination and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The intern will work closely with the UNDP Zimbabwe Economics team, providing relevant support for all Economics functions. The internship is unpaid and full-time, however a modest stipend is provided. Interns work five days per week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and analysis of Economic and Development issues;
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of economic and statistical data;
- Contribution to the preparation of reports and publications;
- Conducting desk reviews of existing research and literature;
- Analyzing survey results, case studies, and other relevant data;
- Support for project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in liaison with relevant Government Ministry teams;
- Contribution to the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports;
- Providing general research and logistical support for key meetings and products.
- Demonstrated research and analytical capacity;
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Able to take initiative and work independently, with minimum supervision;
- Excellent organizational, inter-personal, communication and administrative skills;
- Proven ability to manage diverse and complex tasks, with tight deadlines;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Commitment to the UNDP vision, mission, and strategic goals;
- Fluency in English.
Required Skills and Experience
- A University degree or equivalent in Economics, Development Studies, Business administration, Social Sciences or related field.
- Possession of a Masters Degree would be an added advantage;
- Have demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds;
- Preferably some relevant experience in international development or related area;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages; handling of web-based management systems; and advanced programmes for the statistical analysis of data;
- Knowledge of the UN system is an advantage;
- The UNDP internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- UNDP offers a modest monthly stipend to help cover basic daily expenses related to the internship, such as meals and transportation at the duty station;
- All other expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
This opportunity is only open to Zimbabwean citizens.
Application Deadline : 12-May-20