A leading network of human rights organizations in Zimbabwe, that advocate for the promotion and protection of human rights has an exciting new opening for a suitably qualified person to fill in the position of Executive Director. The Executive Director is the key management leader, responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include providing secretarial service to the board, fundraising, coordination of the membership and safeguarding the organisation’s image. The position reports directly to the Board. This is a full – time position based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
The ideal candidate shall have a minimum Masters’ degree in Law (International Law or Human Rights Law is an added advantage), Social Sciences or equivalent. He or she must possess excellent research and analytical skills, extensive knowledge of human rights law and transitional justice as well as excellent coordination skills. The candidate must have demonstrable experience in national, regional and international lobbying and advocacy, working for or extensively engaging with the state actors and civil society. We are looking for someone who is a leader, with strong interpersonal skills and passionate about human rights. He or she must be a team player, able to work with membership and keen on engaging in public advocacy and working in a collaborative way to deliver high quality work on time. He or she must have a minimum of 8 years relevant experience, 5 years of which must have been at a senior managerial level.
Board Governance and the membership:
- Works with board in order to fulfil the organization mission.
- Responsible for adherence to corporate governance procedures at secretariat level, communicating effectively with the Board and the membership providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board and membership to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Financial Performance and Viability:
- Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Duties include- Fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support the organisation’s mission;
- Ensuring fiscal integrity including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization;
- Fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
Organization Mission and Strategy:
- Works with the membership, board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- This includes ensuring the hiring and retention of competent and qualified personnel.
- Also oversees compliance with organisational policies and procedures.
Actual Job Responsibilities
- Report to and work closely with the Board to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization;
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff and membership in ensuring a member-centric program implementation;
- Strategic planning and implementation;
- Planning and operation of annual budget;
- Serve as organisation’s spokesperson on programming issues and as may be delegated by the Board;
- Establish and maintain relationships with various local and international organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance the organisation’s Mission;
- Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues;
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the organisation;
- Review and approve contracts for services for staff;
- Other duties as assigned by the Board.
Professional Qualifications Needed
- Minimum Masters’ degree in Law (International Law, Human Rights Law are and added advantage) or Social Sciences or equivalent.;
- Demonstrable commitment in human rights and rule of law;
- Transparent and high integrity leadership;
- Five or more years senior non-profit management experience;
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors;
- High level strategic thinking and planning.
- Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board and donors;
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community;
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff;
- Active fundraising experience.
- Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community;
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers;
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation;
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong public speaking ability;
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy
Applications should be addressed, with CV, a cover letter and the names and contact details of at least three referees to: Chairperson of the Human Resources Committee, Ref: Executive Director. By email: email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 30 May 2020