Title: Finance & Admin Officer – Green Climate Fund
Job ID: 31911
Practice Area – Job Family: Environment and Energy – CLIMATE CHANGE
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 10/08/2020
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Education & Work Experience: I-Master’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Languages Required: English
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One year renewable
Position open only to Nationals of Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe has received funding from the Green Climate Fund (GCF) for the project entitled “Building climate resilience of vulnerable agricultural livelihoods in southern Zimbabwe” The objective of the proposed project is to strengthen resilience of agricultural livelihoods of vulnerable communities, particularly women, in southern Zimbabwe in the face of increasing climate risks and impacts. The project will contribute to the following GCF Fund-level impacts for adaptation: 1.0 “Increased resilience and enhanced livelihoods of the most vulnerable people, communities and regions” and 2.0 “Increased resilience of health and well-being, and food and water security” for vulnerable smallholder communities in southern Zimbabwe. The project outcome will strengthen the adaptive capacities of vulnerable smallholder farmers, especially women, to climate change-induced impacts on their agroecosystems and livelihoods through revitalization of irrigation schemes, upgraded water and soil moisture management and water use efficiency, climate-resilient agriculture, improved access to climate information and markets, and partnerships with public and private sector actors. To achieve these outcomes the project proposes to overcome the identified barriers through implementation of the following three interlinked Outputs, using GCF and co-financing resources:
- Increased access to water for climate-resilient agriculture through climate-resilient irrigation systems and efficient water resource management;
- Scaled up climate-resilient agricultural production and diversification through increased access to climate-resilient inputs, practices, and markets;
- Improved access to weather, climate and hydrological information for climate-resilient agriculture. The Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Water and Rural Resettlement (MLAWRR) is the implementing partner and the project will be implemented for 7 years from June 2020 to May 2027.
Against this background, the Zimbabwe Country Office is seeking to recruit an experienced and self-motivated Finance and Administration Officer. Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, the Finance and Administration Officer will implement and manage the project operational, financial and procurement strategies. The officer will work closely with the UNDP Finance and Procurement teams in the execution of his/her duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of project financial management strategies, and adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Keep records of project funds and expenditures, and ensure all project-related financial documentation are well maintained and readily available when required by the Project Manager;
- Review project expenditures and ensure that project funds are used in compliance with the Project Document and GoZ financial rules and procedures;
- Validate and certify FACE forms before submission to UNDP;
- Provide necessary financial information as and when required for project management decisions;
- Provide necessary financial information during project audit(s);
- Review project expenditure reports in line with budget, and notify the Project Manager if there are any discrepancies or issues;
- Consolidate financial progress reports submitted by the responsible parties for implementation of project activities;
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system;
- Liaise and follow up with the responsible parties for implementation of project activities in matters related to project funds and financial progress reports; and
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects, monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions.
Ensures the management of the GCF project budget focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration of proposals for planning of financial resources of the project budget in line with the project disbursement schedule;
- Preparation of reports containing analysis of the financial situation;
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets; regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation;
- Establishment of projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels; and
- Develop and implement the project co-financing schedule inline with co-financing obligation of the project; and a co-financing tracking and reporting system ensuring the co-financing partners are regularly appraised of their contributions.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL, follow up with HQs on ASL for projects, maintenance of the General Ledger.
Implementation and management of project procurement processes focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system;
- Timely and duly preparation of procurement plans for the GCF project and monitoring of their implementation, ensuring that all procurement is within the agreed budget;
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including supporting the RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation;
- Provide guidance and support RPs and IPs procurement ensuring compliance to UNDP or Gvt guidelines
- Support the review and certification of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP);
- Implementation of the strategic procurement in the GCF project including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement;
- Review and evaluate the performance of suppliers
- Support the management of contracts and, upon delegation of responsibility, performing the functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for Purchase orders approval;
- Support the implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched.
- Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues.
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets; manage contributions and investments; manage transactions; and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Basic research and analysis
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Make recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design.
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree or an advanced diploma in accounting/ financial management, Business or Public Administration; or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy.
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Up to 3 years of relevant experience in providing financial management services, managing staff and operational systems;
- Relevant work experience in a project management setting involving multi-lateral/ international funding agency is preferable;
- Good knowldge and Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft required;
- Familiarity with GEF/GCF Systems, contract and financial procedures of the UNDP including online systems are distinct advantages; and
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Excellent language skills in English (writing, speaking and reading).
- Fluency in Shona and or Ndebele required.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Related Jobs (17)
Mobile Money Marketing and Operations Manager ( Telecommunications) on September 18, 2020 Full Time
Finance and Admin Assistant (Beitbridge, Matobo, NyamiNyami) – (200005GI) on September 17, 2020 Contract
Senior Finance and Subgrants Officer – Advocacy and Lobbying on September 15, 2020 Full Time