Position Status: Full time
Start Date: Contingent upon funding
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been present in Zimbabwe since 2002 focusing its interventions on a multi sectoral market systems development portfolio mobilizing communities to promote small-scale agriculture and revive local economies. Its current operations focus on helping smallholder farmers increase their incomes and harvests through the power of technology and increasing urban household access to quality, reliable water, sanitation and hygiene services. Market driven approaches are at the heart of Mercy Corps’ programming globally. Mercy Corps facilitates the development of systems that increase incomes and improve access to goods and services, while reducing the risks and effects of shocks and stresses.
General Position Description
The Finance and Admin Officer will be the key person responsible for managing the Resilience Knowledge Hub grant funded by the Zimbabwe Resilience Building Fund. The successful candidate will manage subaward budgets, consulting and vendor contracts, reviewing, updating, and projecting rant spending and, ensuring timely submission of financial reports to the donor. S/he will be responsible for daily grant operations and management of the project, ensuring appropriate systems and support mechanisms are in place to support project activities and grant compliance. S/he will assist the Finance Manager, in all aspects of the office to allow the smooth daily performance of finance activities, as well as coordination with other office staff on various aspects of project finances.
Key duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the financial and operations focal point for the Resilience Knowledge Hub project;
- Tracking project expenditure and performance against the thresholds outlined in the contracts or agreements;
- Reviews and analyses monthly budget vs actuals reports for the project recommending appropriate action to address low and high burn rates;
- Realignment of project budgets in liaison with the Team Leader and submitting to the Finance Manager for review;
- Preparing an agreed consolidated periodic donor project financial report before the agreement deadline and submitting to the Finance Manager and the Program Manager;
- Prepare cash and bank payments vouchers and entering of transactions into Navigator;
- Develop and maintain good business relationships with banks and stay abreast of local policy and legislation changes that may affect MC banks;
- Assessment of new banks and conditions that may benefit Mercy Corps;
- Maintains bank signatories and bank accounts opening/closing files;
- Assists Finance Manager in the month end accounting close processes and on time submission of monthly reporting package to HQ;
- Assists Finance Manager in preparation of month end and quarterly balance sheet account reconciliations;
- Always working in close coordination with Finance Manager to maintain quality of transactions and accounts;
- Assists in the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
Knowledge and Experience
The position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding environment and the following knowledge and qualifications:
- Relevant degree or higher national diploma (CIS/ACCA/CIMA);
- At least 7 years’ experience in managing finance and grant administration in the non-governmental sector and familiarity with donor regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of UN/EU/DFID or other similar internationally funded projects;
- Experience serving as the financial and operations focal point for a grant over USD $1 million;
- Accounting skills;
- Attention to detail and capacity to closely review work under pressure;
- Very good computer skills specifically familiarity with Excel;
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong understanding of policies and procedures;
- Experience in conducting compliance visits;
- Ability to work independently and under pressure;
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with other personnel;
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds and nationalities.
The Finance and Admin Officer is highly motivated, s/he is an effective communicator, self-driven and able to move forward with limited daily support and direction.
Please send one document that includes your covering letter describing your interest, qualifications, contactable references and your CV to Mercy Corps Human Resources at email@example.com
Applications should be clearly marked with the position applied for in the email subject line.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity organization and encourages both female and male candidates to apply. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position which will be filled upon confirmation of funding availability.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Shortlisting will proceed as applications are received.
Deadline: 25 September 2020