Hivos aims towards an open and green society, inspired by humanist values such as freedom, dignity, responsibility and curiosity. Our objective is that every person can live in freedom and dignity on a planet that is sustainable. We pride ourselves as upholding the principles of Social innovation of generating new ideas and approaches that resolve existing social, cultural, economic and environmental challenges for the benefit of people and planet. We use this frame to stretch Hivos’ view and remit beyond ‘development’ towards a future as a global organization that finds its relevance and impact in the generation of ideas, initiatives and relationships for open and green societies. Hivos has a long track record of being creative and innovative. With social innovation we’re going to take these developments to the next level by working more collaboratively, systematically, innovatively. We will do this by scanning, experimenting and scaling change initiatives and learning throughout the process.
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Finance and Administration Officer Southern Africa.
The officer is responsible for the finance and administration and will assist the project manager in the implementation of the Southern Africa regional component of the ‘Resource of Open Minds’ (R.O.O.M) programme. This includes maintaining oversight of financial and contractual compliance of a portfolio of grants, monitor and evaluate financial performance, compliance and risks of grantees. Tasks include ensuring that amongst others: payments are processed timely and correctly, ensure monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual budget comparisons are prepared and variance analysis reports provided. The Operational and Finance officer will do financial and operational capacity building of partners and will be responsible for all programme administration and monitoring and evaluation.
The R.O.O.M programme aims to build a global movement of young artists, musicians, filmmakers, designers and other content creators who rethink and rebuild the space for free expression in the 21st century. To achieve these objectives, the programme provides grants to collectives and hubs of content creators who challenge norms in their society. The programme implements effective professional skills development trainings for artists and content creators and provide means for experimentation. The programme aims to strengthen inter-regional and global cooperation through joined linking and learning activities such as African Crossroads. The programme is active on the African continent and specifically in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Egypt.
- Overseeing finance and project administration of the ROOM programme in Southern Africa
- Maintaining oversight of financial and contractual compliance of a portfolio of grants
- Set up and implement the Monitoring, Evaluation and Finance systems for partners and provides reports on operational and financial progress of grantees.
- Monitors monthly project spending prepares monthly management accounts and ensure budget comparisons are prepared and variance analysis reports provided
- Financial and operational capacity building of partners and monitor and evaluate their financial performance and compliance. Involvement in budgeting and forecasting process.
- Ensure payments are processed timely and correctly
- Ensure grants are administered in the Hivos systems.
- Assesses audited financial statements of projects and programme partners.
- Approves audited financial statements and communicates with project/programme partners.
- Performs financial inspections of project partners as needed.
- Coordinates fulfillment of financial reporting obligations of projects
- Provide administrative support to programme activities.
- Document the highlights and agreements of key activities with partners and stakeholders
- Level of professional and analytical ability: A Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance option) or ACCA and/or other relevant degree.
- Affinity with finances and administration.
- Have experiences in dealing with administration such as bidding documents, contracts, invoices, etc.
- Practical knowledge spreadsheet and working Knowledge of an ERP environment.
- General Knowledge of ICT, MS Office.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant accounting experience, preferable in an international or donor organization.
- Experience in administering large amounts of information and surveys.
- Ability to work in a financially complex international organization.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively; good command of oral and written English.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Professional discretion.
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment. The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Harare. Hivos is an equal opportunity employer.
Contingent upon funding
How to apply
If you meet the above mentioned qualifications, send a letter explaining your motivation and your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 9 March 2020. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Related Jobs (12)
Mobile Money Marketing and Operations Manager ( Telecommunications) on September 18, 2020 Full Time
Finance and Admin Assistant (Beitbridge, Matobo, NyamiNyami) – (200005GI) on September 17, 2020 Contract
Senior Finance and Subgrants Officer – Advocacy and Lobbying on September 15, 2020 Full Time