Duty station: Harare, ZIMBABWE
Duration: 12 months
Category of Staff: National Staff
Grade: To be determined
Vacancy No: IFRC04096
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 192 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The Secretariat of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is organized into four Business groups in Geneva and five Business Groups in the field, namely the Zone Offices for Africa, Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, and Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The Africa Region Business Group is organized through regional representations covering the National Societies in Eastern Africa, Southern Africa, West Coast, Sahel and Central Africa as well as country representations in Sudan, Republic of South Sudan, Niger, Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Somalia and Zimbabwe. The Southern Africa Country Cluster Office based in Pretoria covers 10 countries (Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe). Finnish Red Cross (FinRC) is working under the umbrella of International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Zimbabwe. This Job Description is in relation to the employment agreement between IFRC/FinRC and (NAME) in his/her position as Finance Officer.
Support FinRC country team in ensuring efficient, effective and timely financial management and administration of FinRC supported programming with Zimbabwe Red Cross Society (ZRCS).
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Based on joint work planning, the Finance Officer will independently, but in frequent collaboration and coordination perform the following duties, as agreed with the FinRC Finance Coordinator:
- Validate that ZRCS project financial reports are correct in terms of entries and calculations; and are consistent with figures presented in supporting documents.
- Ensure budget variance explanations and activities and corresponding budget lines carried forward are correct and consistent with narrative reports.
- Verify that ZRCS project financial reports, invoices and supporting documents meet project agreed requirements & timelines, is consistent with ZRCS policies & procedures and FinRC financial management guidelines as per the back-donor requirements.
- Follow-up with ZRCS Financial Department on (1), (2) and (3) as required; and escalate to FinRC Finance Coordinator, as necessary.
- Identify broader systematic issues within FinRC supported ZRCS project financial management practice that need addressing; and in liaison with FinRC Finance Coordinator to agree plan of action as to who will address this with ZRCS Financial Department and how.
- Provide technical support as agreed to ZRCS in preparing annual and revised programme budgets.
- Provide technical support to ZRCS on procurement processes.
- Assist with timely pre-verification of ZRCS payment requests ensuring compliance with necessary internal controls and procedures. This includes pre-verification and post-verification of ZRCS payrolls and salary payments to ZRCS staff.
- Assist with the overall process of risk monitoring on all FinRC supported programmes within ZRCS.
- Ensure that ZRCS fixed assets inventory lists for projects, in line with ZRCS policies and project requirements, are established and maintained at all levels.
- When necessary assist in planning and organising FinRC internal audits and Donor initiated audits in Zimbabwe in relation to FinRC supported programmes; and
- Assist in maintaining administrative procedures in the FinRC Offices.
- Assist or lead where delegated, FinRC financial management capacity building efforts with ZRCS (involving potential field visits to provincial and district teams).
- Undertake quality control of cash transfer requests from ZRCS and transmit them for further processing.
- Ensure timely and accurate cash management in the FinRC Country Office and liaise with FinRC bankers on general banking issues.
- Ensure timely and accurate booking of FinRC Country Office transactions and timely reporting to FinRC Headquarters.
- Contribute to efficient communication and coordination between FinRC Country Delegate, FinRC Finance Coordinator and ZRCS on financial matters including participation in ZRCS quarterly review meetings and other field visits as needed.
- Other duties as required by FinRC Country office.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting / Finance
- ACCA qualification preferred
- Minimum 3 years financial management or auditing experience within the NGO sector with a focus on supporting local partners
- Experience in budget preparation and follow-up preferred
- Experience in financial management with Non-Government Organisations ( Preferred )
- Experience and knowledge of international donor financial management requirements ( Preferred )
Knowledge, skills and languages
- Knowledge of standard internal control procedures and practice
- Demonstrated experience with accounting software (Navision preferred)
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and coordinate transparently
- Ability to prioritise and coordinate multiple tasks
- Demonstrated capacity to produce results timely and rigorously
- Fluently spoken and written English
Competencies and values
- National Society relations
- Managing staff development
Closing date : 24-06-2020