The United Nations Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) provides support to the RC/UNCT’s roles and efforts in coordinating the work of the UN system at the country level. The office works in close collaboration with the UN programme and operations teams of the Agencies, Regional UN Development Group (R-UNDG) staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful implementation of UNCT activities.
Under the direct and day to day supervision of the Head of the RCO, and in close consultation with the Head of RCO and UN Women Zimbabwe Country Office, the Gender Advisor will be responsible for providing strategic and technical advice to the Resident Coordinator and the UN Country Team (UNCT) to strengthen the work of the United Nations in Zimbabwe on gender equality and mainstreaming women’s rights across the result areas of the Zimbabwe UN Sustainable Development Assistance Framework (ZUNDAF), within the context of the National Development Plan (NDP) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Gender Advisor will also ensure strategic oversight on the EU-UN Spotlight Initiative and the design and implementation of the UNCT Strategy on Prevention against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA). She/ he will further provide technical advice and support to strengthen the RCO’s ability to support the UN in Zimbabwe to develop and sustain strategic partnerships at country, regional and global level to improve the UN system’s work on gender equality, women’s rights and empowerment of women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective coordination and knowledge management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Play a coordination role by supporting the UNCT in the development and implementation of programmes in support of international, regional and national commitments on gender equality, women’s rights and the empowerment of women and girls as outlined in the ZUNDAF, with focus on the Spotlight Initiative;
- In close collaboration with UNWOMEN and other UN partners/Agencies, provide technical advice to the RC in the coordination of emerging technical and development assistance to the Government of Zimbabwe and civil society, ensuring emerging development support responds to women’s needs and national gender equality priorities;
- In collaboration with UNFPA as lead of GBV Sub-Cluster, and in consultation with other UN actors, oversee the work of the PSEA advisor in the design and implementation of a UNCT PSEA strategy;
- In close collaboration with UNWOMEN as lead of the Gender Results Group, contribute to mainstreaming gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights into all programs related to the ZUNDAF implementation in a coherent manner;
- Act as resource person in capacity building, knowledge sharing events and other relevant activities on gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights in the UN System;
- Coordinate gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights activities of the RCO in close consultation with other advisors (peace and development, human rights, protection, monitoring and evaluation);
- Collaborate with UNWOMEN to ensure knowledge sharing, documentation and dissemination of good practices on gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights within the UNCT and the broader UN system;
- Support the UNCT and the Government of Zimbabwe with the institutionalization of the Women, Peace and Security Agenda as per UNSCR 1325;
- In close consultation with the UN Communications Group, ensure the communication of gender equality and women’s empowerment results to external audiences.
Strategic advice to the UN RC and UNCT in promoting women’s rights and gender equality in the country achieving the following results:
- Provide analysis and strategic advice to the UNCT on current gender issues and opportunities to support inclusive engagement of women in the development and humanitarian assistance provided by the UN in Zimbabwe;
- Identify and advise on entry points for new initiatives for the UN to strengthen national and local capacities for gender equality and to support the advancement of women’s empowerment, gender equality and women’s rights in the country in close consultation with UN Women and other UN agencies;
- Facilitate the use of key accountability tools and processes by the UNCT (e.g. the Gender Score Card, Gender Marker) to ensure that the UN in Zimbabwe tracks and is accountable for gender equality and women’s empowerment during the ZUNDAF implementation;
- Advise and support the UNCT in forging strategic partnerships at the national and local level to promote gender equality, women’s advancement and women’s representation.
Representation and Partnership Building focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support inter-agency coordination on gender including support to relevant technical team(s), in close consultation with UN Women;
- Represent the UN at inter-agency, intergovernmental, international, regional and national conferences and meetings and advocate the UN’s positions in advancing gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights;
- Maintain active relationship/partnerships with National Government Counterparts, UN System, international community, inter-government and non-governmental organizations, institutes and academia on women’s issue to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and share and influence agenda and priority setting.
Ensures effective funds administration and facilitation of audit and evaluation focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure the tracking and proper administration of funds for the UNRCO Gender portfolio under the EU-UN Spotlight Initiative;
- In close collaboration with the Head of UNRCO, coordinate timely preparation and conduct of the internal and external audits of the Spotlight Initiative;
- Coordinate timely preparations and conduct of the independent evaluation of the Spotlight Initiative.
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents;
- Organizational Awareness: Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen;
- Development and Innovation: Support staff competence development and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Work in teams: Build and promote effective teams. Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communication and Information Sharing: Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Ensure fair and transparent decision-making processes and manage risk.
- Substantive experience and record of accomplishment in the area of gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment issues;
- Proven ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, programme development and implementation, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships and mobilize resources;
- Knowledge of methodologies and best practices for promoting gender equality, equity, women’s rights and women empowerment in general and in the SADC region in particular;
- Experience with implementing joint programmes and initiatives in gender equality, GBV, and PSEA;
- Experience working with and building capacity of national women’s machineries or similar institutions;
- Experience working with the UN in transition contexts;
- High degree of political acumen and sensitivity and demonstrated ability to achieve results in politically and operationally complex environments.
- Ability to plan work assignments, establish priorities and to meet strict assignment deadlines;
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners and colleagues and to focus on impact and results;
- Demonstrated aptitude to build effective partnerships with a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Compelling communication (verbal and written) skills, including ability to prepare reports, formulate and defend sound recommendations and articulate options concisely conveying maximum necessary information;
- Negotiating skills and ability to work at all levels with others to reach mutually benefiting and lasting understandings;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; capacity to recognize and respond appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a social science, law, gender issues, or other development-related fields.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in development, focusing on gender/GBV programming, part of which has been in the field with experience on gender equality and women’s rights with an international organization;
- Strong familiarity with UN inter-agency cooperation would be an asset;
- Knowledge of and experience in Zimbabwe desirable;
- Good knowledge of UN Women and the UN system.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Deadline: 14 April 2020
Related Jobs (22)
Production of a Transitional Justice Monitoring Report on September 18, 2020 Consultancy
Mobile Money Marketing and Operations Manager ( Telecommunications) on September 18, 2020 Full Time