Title: GFATM Finance Assistant
Job ID: 32325
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health – FINANCE, Management – FINANCE
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 29/08/2020
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Education & Work Experience: E-Technical School – 5 year(s) experience
Languages Required: English
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One year renewable
Position is only open to nationals of Zimbabwe
UNDP is a key partner to the Global Fund to Fight HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) and is the UN agency assuming the role of Principal Recipient (PR) of GFATM grants in Zimbabwe. In its role as Principle Recipient for the HIV grant, UNDP ensures quality financial management, timely procurement of supplies, and efficient monitoring and service delivery.
UNDP‘s Principal Recipient management role of the HIV grant consists in implementing grants, ensuring financial accountability, and training of national and international counterparts on programme management and financial accountability.
UNDP also provides Support Services to the Principal Recipient of the Malaria and TB grants in Zimbabwe. UNDP is not accountable for the programmatic results of these grants. UNDP role include mitigation of the risk of loss of grant funds and ensure that effective risk management measures are in place with respect to the funds disbursed to the Principal Recipient and, where applicable, sub-recipients and sub-sub-recipients; and to ensure that the use of grant funds is in accordance with the approved Work Plan and Budget under the Grant Agreements and in compliance with the Administration, Financial, Procurement and Accounting Procedures Manual of the Principal Recipient.
Under the guidance of the Finance Specialist and daily supervision of the Finance Analyst/ Finance Associate, the Finance Assistant is responsible for effective delivery of financial services, transparent utilization of financial resources and management of the projects finances.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UNDP and Global Fund rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Maintain financial records for the Principal Recipient as per UNDP and Global Fund financial and accounting rules, regulations and policies and ensure their compliance.
Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Analyst focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure an efficient financial flow process and timely payments of the goods and services required by SRs and SSRs for the implementation of the project activities;
- Prepare detailed budget information of the Global Fund approved components;
- Follow up on the budget execution of SRs and SSRs;
- Prepare monthly account reconciliation;
- Prepare budget revisions, as required and maintain updated the projects information in ATLAS;
- Support the design of a reporting system for internal and GFATM needs and prepare periodic reports as required;
- Support preparation of project financial reports in compliance with the Global Fund requirements and the periodic Disbursements
- Requests to be submitted to the LFA/Global Fund for the replenishment of the PR account;
- Analyse and provide reasons for the budget variances between the actual and budgeted expenditures;
- Prepare for annual audits of PR and SRs (inclusive SSRs if any) as required by the GFATM and ensure that external auditors have all relevant information. Follow up on audit reports to ensure that recommendations in audit reports are implemented;
- Perform financial verifications and spot checks to mitigate against risk of loss of grant funds;
- Effect payments using ATLAS programme, ensuring accuracy of computation and completeness of supporting documentation and preparing for payments (check and bank transfer);
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required.
- Management of cash receipts and petty cash;
- Responsible for maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents.
Ensures proper cash management system functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely and accurate preparation of cash reconciliations;
- Initiation of bank transfers in Atlas
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the finance officers at PR, SR and SSR level;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to financial resources management, including screening and collecting documentation, financial data processing, filing, provision of information
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- At least 5 years of relevant finance experience at the national or international level is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Previous UN Experience is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English with good verbal and written skills.
Disclaimer : Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.