Duration: 3 months with possibility of extension
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Classification: General Service Staff, UG
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Ungraded, 3 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Reference Number: CFA2020/009
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Head of Programmes, the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Information Management Officer will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the data information system from data collection to storage and analysis including geospatial information.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and administer database information systems to gather and process information required for DTM implementation;
- Coordinate and manage effective Geographic Information System (GIS) including the production of GIS related products;
- Responsible for developing data collection tools and/or data entry tools;
- Provide user support, guidelines, training materials and training sessions on the deployment, use, operation and maintenance of databases and GIS systems to programme staff and partners;
- Prepare and develop analytical tools and reports for displacement trends, needs assessments and programme activities using the programme’s databases;
- Develop and implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability;
- Support the supervision of data collection processes and data management activities, including encoding, storing, processing, and analysis; secure consistent availability of computer services.
- Support maintenance of and training on all technologies used for information database systems;
- Support the reporting and analysis of data for donors and other stakeholders.
- Ensure data consistency and provide statistical information and mapping;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Education, experience and competencies
- University degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Media or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years relevant professional experience;
- Experience in the administration of multi-site IT infrastructure;
- Experience in the development and implementation of population database and GIS systems (e.g. migrant registration, censuses, household surveys);
- Experience in the development and implementation of ODK or any other mobile data collection tools;
- Working experience with the following tools: Access, VB.NET, C++. NET framework, Java, ASP.NET, SQL or Oracle (MCP certification in any of these products is an advantage).
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible;
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct;
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment
No late applications will be accepted.
Deadline: 30 June 2020
Related Jobs (30)
Accountability, Monitoring & Evaluation Facilitator on September 25, 2020 Contract
Quality Assurance Manager – Agricultural and Distribution on September 22, 2020 Full Time