The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) – a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org) – develops technologies, innovative methods, and new knowledge that better enable farmers, especially smallholders, to make agriculture competitive and profitable as well as sustainable and resilient. CIAT conducts research for development in tropical regions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia (www.ciat.cgiar.org).
HarvestPlus (www.harvestplus.org) improves nutrition and public health by developing and promoting Biofortified food crops that are rich in vitamins and minerals. It provides global leadership on Biofortification evidence and technology. HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. HarvestPlus is based at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and collaborates with multiple CGIAR centers and partner organizations.
CIAT, on behalf of HarvestPlus Program, is seeking to recruit a highly motivated Graduate Finance Intern to join our Finance and Administration Team. The successful candidate will support the organization while learning about a career in finance. The finance intern will work closely with the Finance Officer to ensure smooth operation of all finance and administration departments. Regular duties and responsibilities for the finance interns will include recording and retrieving financial entries, maintaining financial records, processing payments, receipts and cash handling, taking notes during meetings and assisting with audits.
- Reviewing of payment requisitions to ensure completeness and correctness of documents before processing payment;
- Act as bank agent for the organization at the bank;
- Sending of payment confirmations to vendors;
- Assisting in posting transactions in the Unit 4 Business World (UBW) Agresso accounting system with speed and accuracy;
- Assisting in maintaining records and accounting for Petty Cash;
- Reviewing documents submitted for legalization of travel and project activity advances for completeness and correctness;
- Preparing payment, receipt and journal vouchers;
- Assisting in maintenance of finance and administration department files;
- Assist in year-end preparations for financial audits.
- Assist in tasks to ensure compliance with ZIMRA and NSSA regulatory requirements; Assist in maintenance of staff daily attendance register and leave records; Assist in maintenance of human resources files
- Assist in office reception duties, including answering of phones and receiving visitors;
- Assist in inventory control (asset register, stock control);
- Assisting in monthly conducting vehicle mileage reconciliations and cost allocations;
- Assist in receiving items from vendors and updating stock cards where applicable;
- Assist in periodic verification of physical inventory and assets and general maintenance of stock database;
- Assist in ensuring routine servicing of equipment as and when due and keeping maintenance log;
- Assisting in ensuring office facilities for maintenance of a healthy and safe workplace.
Programs department support;
Assisting in logistical preparations for workshops, conferences and cooking demos;
As and when required, traveling within Zimbabwe, for HarvestPlus – CIAT program activities to facilitate logistical arrangements and payments of allowances and to ensure delivery of services by service providers.
- Any other financial and Admin duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Understanding of accounting processes and procedures;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet targets and deadlines;
- Ability to manage high volumes of workload and multi-task;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Some experience of human resource and administration work is an added advantage.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree or equivalent profession education in Accounting or Business Administration obtained from a recognized institution;
- No experience required but should have an inclination to work in the NGO sector;
- Ability to work efficiently with Microsoft office Excel and Word and a knack for learning how to use accounting software;
- Clean class 4 Drivers’ license would be an added advantage but not a requirement;
- Good problem-solving skills, great team player and attentive to detail;
- Good communication and writing skills in English;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with minimum supervision
Interested candidates to email their cover letter and CV as one document to P.Jeke@cgiar.org
The email should have ref: Graduate Finance Intern on the subject line.
Deadline: 15 July 2020
Related Jobs (9)
Youth Saving & Lending Action Research Consultancy on August 5, 2020 Consultancy