Job categories : IT
Vacancy code : VA/2020/B5323/19730
Department/office : AFR, KEMC, Kenya
Duty station : Harare, Zimbabwe
Contract type : Local ICA Support
Contract level : LICA-6
Duration : Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Deadline : 24-May-2020
The Zimbabwe Hurricane Idai Recovery Programme (ZIRP) falls under the purview of the UNOPS KEMC (Kenya Multi Country Office) Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of Infrastructure, procurement and project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and several Island states.
Current Projects Following devastation caused to life, livelihoods and property by tropical storm Idai in March 2019, the WB has allocated up to US$ 75 million to finance a recovery project for Zimbabwe and the African Development Bank has allocated US$ 25 million. The projects address both early and mid-term recovery needs in multiple sectors (livelihoods, health, education, agriculture, transport). UNOPS has been requested to manage the WB funds and has established a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) and is the Implementation Agency for the AfDB project. UNOPS has engaged multiple UN partner organizations to deliver specific components of ZIRP and private sector companies to deliver on the infrastructure works under AfDB.
The PIU has been established as a facility to support the World Bank fund only. As the Fund Manager/PIU UNOPS will be responsible for multiple functions vis-a-vis the ZIRP including the design of an early recovery/emergency response facility, fiduciary management, legal and technical oversight results management, reporting, quality assurance and communications.
To strengthen UNOPS system for results management and performance, UNOPS developed and is operationalizing a central and robust MIS platform for the ZIRP project. In alignment with ZIRP Project Operational Manual and Results Framework, the MIS will enable efficient data aggregation, access and use for decision-making at the PIU and donor level, and improve coordination (synergy) among the ZIRP Technical Agencies, data collation, and onward reporting on implementation progress and results to The World Bank, key stakeholders and community members in an efficient mode. Responsible to the M&E Specialist – MIS Associate will be part of the Results management Team which is part of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU), based in UNOPS office in Harare. The primary function of this role is to lead the operationalization, maintenance and update of the MIS platform.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the M&E Specialist, the MIS Associate will perform the following functions:
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Extend the MIS Platform to cover operations for data collection, analysis and reporting
- Agree on frequency of data collection and data uploading to the MIS Platform.
- Populate the MIS platform with M&E data as collected – ‘live’ dashboard.
- Provide quality control and data verification function for all data entered into the MIS platform, incorporate a feedback loop where required
- Design and implement an analytical framework for the MIS platform
- Regularly review and as needed revise the MIS operational and user manual (including rights and data protection guidelines
- As needed organize and deliver ongoing support and training to users on the MIS platform
- Undertake site visits for the Monitoring and Evaluation in accordance with the M&E Plan
Analysis and Reporting
- Through the MIS platform generate cross-tabulations to verify synergies and overlaps
- Through the MIS platform generate analytical reports for the PIU, the World Bank, Project teams and M&E
- Community of Practice, including Value For Money analysis, GIS maps for projects, and summary highlights for communications
- Support the M&E team to ensure project data is; i) appropriately represented in internal (monthly, bi-annual and annual reports) and external reporting (public communication about project results and impact, and ii) of the use to independent evaluation
- Ensure MIS platform incorporates all project reporting requirements
- Collaborate with the UNOPS Communications Team in the elaboration of projects communication and visibility strategy and implementation line that is in line with donors and UNOPS guidelines;
- Support to ensure that all communication material, press and digital, include verified data prior to publication
- Prepare and catalogue project knowledge assets and project management tools in the project shared drive
- Routinely review and refine archival procedures
- Perform other duties as requested by the M&E Specialist
UNOPS Zimbabwe covers a range of development sectors. The work of the Project Implementation Unit is diverse and requires a significant level of multitasking. The MIS Associate will be required to deliver high quality products to tight deadlines. Additionally, the MIS Associate will also closely coordinate with other departments including infrastructure and procurement units. The incumbent will be responsible to abide by the security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Completion of secondary school is required;
- Technical/Professional Diploma in Computer Sciences or Engineering is an asset;
- First University Degree in Computer Sciences or Engineering is added advantage;
- At least 6 years’ proven experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems management is required.
- Experience in the usage of computerized database system or monitoring information system is required.
- Experience in usage of geographical information system tools like GISIDA mapping, DA (digital atlas) and GPS (global positioning system) for establishing an accurate project mapping required.
- At least 2 years of experience in GIS, Data Management, and Visualization is required.
- Training in all relevant databases, GISIDA, GIS software, Data Dashboard Visualization is desirable.
- Knowledge of software such as ArcGIS, Open Street Maps, QGIS, Kobo Toolbox etc. is desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
Integrity & Inclusion
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same.
- Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first.
- Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
gh risk areas which have proven to be beneficial to partners
Related Jobs (9)
National Information and Communication Technology Manager on September 15, 2020 Full Time