The Zimbabwe portfolio falls under the purview of the UNOPS KEMC (Kenya Multi Country Office) Located in Nairobi, Kenya. The Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of Infrastructure, procurement and project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and several Island states.
Under the direct supervision of the Support Services Manager and technical guidance of the ICT colleagues in HQ and KEMC, the ICT Associate is responsible for efficient and effective ICT management and support to the operations in a given geography. In the discharge of her/his duties, the ICT Associate liaises with UNOPS programme support colleagues in order to ensure best support.
- ICT client services, management and administration
- Network administration
- Team Management
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
ICT client services, management and administration
Ensures efficient and effective ICT client services, management and administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of ICT and operational strategies compliant with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and framework.
- Provision of fast, friendly, and effective user support.
- Advice on information technology and systems planning exercises undertaken in the Business Unit, and representing the Business Unit in those undertaken throughout UNOPS.
- Participation in the development of ICT standards and strategies for the Business Unit
- Maintenance of inventory of all computer, audio/video communication equipment, and software in the Business Unit, ensuring compliance with asset management policies.
- Interaction with HQ and ICT personnel from other UN agencies in the area to share and exchange information and expertise on applications and tools.
- Effective functioning (installation, operation and maintenance) of all UNOPS hardware equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies, approved software and application of updates and patches in a timely manner.
- Supervision of information and communication services of the Business Unit and managed projects.
- Effective advice on all project implementation activities involving ICT; the hardware and software procurement process; and establishment and maintenance of a roster of potential suppliers.
- Active networking with clients, addressing and improving common areas of concern.
- Provision of consulting services, ICT audit inspections and/or facilitation of selection/deployment of software to projects, seeking technical advice and support from HQ ICT personnel, as required.
- Liaison with UNOPS HQ, and other relevant units, to determine hardware and software requirements.
- Acting as effective UNOPS’ liaison with the local UN partner agencies on issues relating to UNOPS ICT.
GIS and Data Management
- Assist in the required information system that UNOPS is using in Zimbabwe for managing programmes.
- Provide technical input in managing the established information management system during the course of the project
- Collect all relevant information to support the management of the daily operation of the GIS and Data Management project office.
- Assist in tracking UNOPS delivery. Identifying potential problems and having it resolved by service provider
- Travel throughout the implementation region as required upon missions / activities and provide assistance where necessary.
- Create dashboards, maps, and data sheets to enable better understanding of different outcomes.
- Create maps highlighting the damage from Cyclone Idai, locations of projects’ sites, population distribution and density, and other important factors for analyzing the projects’ activities.
- Develop innovative tools and content for presentations related to project management
- Provide methodologies for improving geographical data flow in the UNOPS Zimbabwe Office.
- Compile data from government sources and other technical agencies on health and education facilities, irrigation schemes, agricultural infrastructure, transport infrastructure, water and sanitation, etc. for analysis and development of maps.
- Produce visual representations of distribution of services, schematic maps, and other content that will enable a better understanding of the country’s social, economic, and developmental context.
- Compile, draft and distribute regular progress reports for the PM/CD
- Other tasks assigned by the project manager
Ensures efficient network administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of network and internet connectivity to ensure stable operation, availability of bandwidth, and reliable connection to the internet and HQ based systems
- Valid hardware maintenance agreements, to ensure timely resolution of hardware failures.
- A stable and responsive network environment based on daily monitoring of the network connection.
- Ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability of UNOPS ICT systems and UNOPS information assets.
- Monitor and maintain proper backups of UNOPS data. Maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recovery processes and procedures Maintenance of video conference and telephony operations
- Facilitates the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provides oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practice.
Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- Participates, organizes and delivers trainings for the operations/ projects staff in ICT services.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of key results by the ICT Associate directly affects the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the relevant business unit/project, in ICT management, impacting the timely and effective implementation of the respective services and deliverables. This ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
- Completion of Secondary education is required;
- Diploma or University Degree, preferably in Computer sciences, computer programming, Information Technology, Information system or related fields is an asset.
- A minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and systems is required;
- Experience in ArcGIS and Data Management is required;
- Experience in Network Administration, Client/Support Services, Active Directory, Cisco LAN/WAN Management, Exchange Server Administration are required;
- Knowledge of software such as GIS, Kobo toolbox, Open Street Maps, QGIS etc.is an added advantage;
- Experience in telecommunications, international exposure, networking and security is an added advantage;
- Experience in all relevant database and GIS softwares and platforms is an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required;
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
Integrity & Inclusion
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self & Others
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Closing date: 06-05-2020