The Zimbabwe Open University (ZOU) is a dedicated Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODeL) State University in Zimbabwe established in 1999. The mandate of the University is to empower people through Open, Distance and Electronic Learning. ZOU has ten (10) Regional Campuses in Zimbabwe, with a Regional Campus located in each Province of the Country. ZOU uses the affordances of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) to reach out and service local and international students. The Council of the Zimbabwe Open University is inviting suitably qualified, experienced and highly motivated candidates to apply for the position of an Information Technologist.
The candidate should be an accomplished Information Technologist with knowledge and hands-on work experience in Information and Communication Technology (ICT). Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the position is strategic to the attainment of the University’s mission and goals. As a pivotal member of the University’s Senior Management team, the incumbent will be responsible for initiating, recommending, implementing and monitoring policies, systems and procedures dealing with classical and contemporary best practices in the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) field and safeguarding of the information and communication technologies of the University. He/She should possess the following competencies:
- Strategic thinking skills and transformational leadership in order to drive a 21 century Information and Communication Technology (ICT) portfolio;
- Policy formulation skills in order to recommend policies consistent with Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODeL) best practices in the relevant portfolio;
- Ability to create Information and Communication Technology (ICT) portfolio that enhances quality research, teaching, learning; community engagement, innovation and industrialization;
- Ability to provide an environment that enables the creation of on-line teaching and learning;
- Ability to promote on-line teaching and learning;
- Ability to develop ICT Systems and Applications that contribute to the positive ranking of the University in Zimbabwe and on the African continent; and
- Ability to moblise resources for the ICT Unit and the University in general.
- Contributing to institutional capacity building and teaching and learning activities on and using ICT’s;
- Planning and overseeing all Information Technology Systems and their evaluation according to established standards;
- Reviewing and establishing ICT policies and management systems to support the implementation of the Zimbabwe Open University strategies in line with Education 5.0;
- Ensuring efficient and effective access to ICT services by staff and students to support the core business of the University;
- Digitalizing of core University business systems;
- Analysing and determining the overall ICT requirements for the Zimbabwe Open University;
- Monitoring and evaluating ICT equipment and software to ensure functionality and efficiency and advising on proper utilisation of the same;
- Identifying the need for upgrades and configurations of ICT Systems to support the needs of every department;
- Directing the maintenance of the state-of-the-art Campus Wide Computer Network at the University;
- Suggesting and leading the University in the utilisation of emerging ICT Systems in the daily business of the institution, and
- Interpreting the ICT needs of the University Strategy Plan through the development of an appropriate Enterprise Architecture.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
The University is looking for an inspired Information Technologist with the following qualification and experience;
- A minimum qualification of a Master’s degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering; or similar relevant areas of specialization
- A PhD in a relevant field is an added advantage;
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant post qualification managerial experience in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in a University setting;
- Proven experience of ICT management at Senior Manager Level;
- Sound understanding of computer systems (hardware/software and networks);
- Excellent communication, organisational and leadership skills;
- Knowledge and experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of ICT Systems and their specifications;
- A flair for development and use of ICTs in service delivery both Teaching and Non-Teaching environments;
- Experience in an institution utilizing ODeL is an added advantage; and
- Evidence of research and publications in relevant disciplines will be an added advantage.
REMUNERATION AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The University offers
- A highly attractive and competitive remuneration package in accordance with the University Terms and Conditions of Service.
- Medical Aid, and Pension benefits
- A four (4) year performance-related renewable contract.
The full details of conditions of service will be disclosed to the shortlisted candidates.
Candidates who do not have the stipulated requirements need not apply.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Interested and qualified persons should submit online application consisting of the application letter, certified educational and professional certificates, Curriculum Vitae, contact telephone numbers and names and contact details of at least three (3) referees. All applications should clearly indicate the post being applied for. Applications should be received not later than 13 June 2020. Applications should be submitted to the following email address: email@example.com
NB. Only shortlisted candidates will be conducted