The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a pro-active and results-oriented Agricultural Economist to develop and implement a strategic socio-economic research agenda around the adoption and impact of sustainable/cereal innovations, particularly sustainable intensification of maize-based systems in southern Africa. The position contributes to CIMMYT’s research-for-development (R4D) to improve the livelihoods of maize farmers and consumers in developing countries and a portfolio of projects. You will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Socio-Economics Program in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s Sustainable Intensification and other programs and with local and international partners.
The position will be based at CIMMYT-Zimbabwe office in Harare, but will involve frequent travel and field work, including to other CIMMYT field sites particularly throughout target areas in southern Africa (including Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi).
- Assess the adoption of sustainable intensification in southern African, including diffusion dynamics, associated drivers and opportunities for improvement.
- Assess the multidimensional (social, economic and environmental) impacts of sustainable intensification, including their distributional effects especially on the livelihoods of resource poor farmers, consumers and women.
- Translate empirical findings into R4D priorities and implications, including the development of strategies, options and evidence-based recommendations to set research priorities, guide policy decisions, facilitate adaptations and stimulate scaling up and out.
- Strengthen the impact culture within CIMMYT and partners through better articulation of impact pathways, monitoring, learning and impact evaluation.
- Publish findings in international peer reviewed journals.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Recent PhD in agricultural economics, development economics or a related social science field from a recognized institution.
- Relevant field experience in applied R4D in developing countries, preferably with experience in (southern) Africa.
- Active interest in fieldwork and applying mixed methods (quantitative and qualitative), systems thinking and relevant novel approaches.
- Good partnership and interpersonal skills and team player, including ability to work with different nationalities, disciplines and educational levels, as a member of a diverse work team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- A high degree of personal organization and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure, as well as travel extensively.
- Promising publication record in international peer-reviewed journals.
The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Critical Thinking and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20133_Agricultural Economist (Associate Scientist). Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, October 19th, 2020. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.