The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme has developed and is continuing to enhance and maintain a set of digital solutions to manage:
- the identities and entitlements of its beneficiaries,
- the operational parameters of the programmes that transfer benefits to them, and
- the interfaces with financial service providers and other delivery mechanisms that process actual last mile transfers to beneficiaries.
This includes SCOPE, WFP’s beneficiary and transfer management platform that supports the WFP programme intervention cycle. The SCOPE platform is a web-based application used for beneficiary registration, intervention setup, distribution planning, transfer and distribution reporting. While there is a current focus and scale-up/enhancement related to cash-based transfers, SCOPE currently supports all WFP transfer modalities: in-kind, voucher and cash for a variety of project activities.
As an extension and over the next couple of years, WFP also plans to develop a broad array of digital assistance services (DAS) beyond those related to the current SCOPE capabilities.
Under the direct supervision of the IT Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the delivery of efficient and effective IT and Telecommunications (TC) services, contributing to sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support the budgeting, planning and deployment of IT and Telecommunications systems that
are aligned with business needs, in accordance with WFP corporate standards.
- Provide support to maintain IT and Telecommunications systems and networks, ensuring
appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network
issues; and supporting users to get maximum benefits from them.
- Install and configure new computer hardware for improving and upgrading system
performance; support any technology upgrades as required.
- Provide data and documentation to support the procurement of TC/IT equipment and
services at and in line with WFP rules and regulations.
- Collate data and contribute to the preparation of accurate reports on IT/TC investments and
costs, providing information to inform decision-making by stakeholders.
- Develop technical skills and knowledge, and build awareness of industry developments.
- Respond to queries from users, understanding and resolving issues, providing advice and
ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems and tools are correctly applied to support them.
- Guide junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Support the capability building of staff through the organisation and/or review of training
programs aimed at developing skills/knowledge in IT and TC.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies in order to network, align activities and support
possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of IT and Telecommunications.
- Interact effectively with colleagues and user groups to understand their needs and provide
appropriate technical support.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness and contingency planning practices to ensure WFP
is able to maintain basic IT services and/or quickly respond and deploy resources to affected
areas at the onset of a crisis.
- Follow operational plans and deliver resource requirements at the onset of an emergency.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree in Computer Science, Data Management, Statistics, Information Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the design and development and implementation of information management and database solutions
- Has assisted in the design and implementation of ITIL service management systems for handling customer requests.
- Has performed extensive support and implementation of SCOPE at a large scale.
- Has performed user support activities resulting in timely, high-quality delivery of services to user community, including the emergency operations user community.
- Has assisted with the specification, development, research and evaluation of client standards.
- Proficiency in English and Shona/ Ndebele
Governance, Strategy and Architecture
- Shares knowledge of IT governance process and system architecture development with team and analyses current designs for improvements and enhancements while ensuring compliance with legislation and specifies any required changes.
Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization
- Utilises working knowledge of project and change management approaches to collect and analyse relevant data from multiple stakeholders to develop evidence-based business case for change.
- Exhibits deep technical knowledge in area of expertise and actively transfers knowledge to strengthen the skill base across the function; considers the most appropriate use of technical resources to ensure skill development and optimization of resource allocation.
- Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.
- Applies thorough understanding of the business, customers, new IT technologies and techniques to implement improved solutions and define service levels, standards and the monitoring process for client service staff.
Procurement and Contract Management
- Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Must have strong technical skills with an ability to work independently and as
part of a diverse team.
- Must have strong SCOPE skills including providing technical support for all
units in SCOPE implementation.
- Must have strong IT systems skills including support for CPs on SCOPE.
- Have strong client orientation skills, ability to work systematically, use
initiative, good judgement, and to communicate complex matters both orally
and in writing; proven ability to work in a team environment and achieve
- Have Training and/or experience in Windows server operating systems, ,
strong knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, project management and
other standard WFP software packages and systems
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Strong writing skills and ability to deliver presentations to multiple stakeholder groups in clear and concise business language.
- Showcase strong problem solving, analytical, and client-facing skills.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-ethic environments.
- Must demonstrate strong data analysis skills.
- Expertise in CBT implementation or M&E implementation would be desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This vacancy is open to nationals of Zimbabwe only.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit their application via E- Recruitment attaching a signed application letter, a Curriculum Vitae and a signed Personal History Form (P11) available at http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the recruitment processes.
WFP DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING)
Applicants are requested to submit their applications on or before the closing date of 20 April 2020.
Female applicants who are qualified are especially encouraged to apply
Related Jobs (9)
National Information and Communication Technology Manager on September 15, 2020 Full Time