Host Entity : WHO
Country : Zimbabwe
Duty Station : Harare (ZWE)
Language Skills : English
Start Date : Immediate
Duration : 3 months
Application Deadline : 30 June 2020
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the World Health Organization Representative and working within the WHO Health Emergency Cluster, the UN Volunteer – Laboratory Scientist will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide technical advice and guidance for the development and/or update of national policies and strategies on the diagnosis of COVID-19 including sample collection, handling and testing strategies
- Conduct trainings and supervise laboratory persons involved in COVID-19 testing
- Provide technical support for the strengthening of laboratory capacity and expanding access to molecular biology tests for COVID-19
- Provide technical assistance to integrate new COVID-19 specimen collection or diagnostic options as they become available
- Conduct support assessments of all laboratories that are involved in the COVID-19 testing
- Provide support and guidance on implementing quality systems and follow up on quality management in the laboratory by supporting through external quality panels, inter-lab quality checks and sending samples to reference laboratories for quality checks.
- Provide technical support for strengthening data collection and analysis of information on diagnosis of COVID-19 and in guiding interconnectivity of diagnostic information systems with overall programs or national information systems;
- Coordinate with Procurement Department for the inclusion of new diagnostics for COVID-19, and review and provide advice on purchase orders of diagnostics received from Member States;
- Provide technical guidance on laboratory aspects of COVID-19 diagnosis including coordination of technical support for all COVID-19 testing laboratories; develop and/or review technical documents on COVID-19 testing; provide guidance on implementation of COVID-19 diagnostic algorithms, new technologies and approaches;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned by the WHO.
Required degree level:
- Master degree or equivalent
Education – Essential:
- A university degree in biomedical laboratory science and any health- related profession and a master’s degree in molecular biology, virology or any area related to the functions of the position attained from a recognised university
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques
- 60 Months
- Minimum 5 years of experience with working with infectious diseases and/or laboratory systems strengthening
English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise:
- Public health, Disaster risk reduction, Resource mobilization, partnership and donor coordination
- Adaptability and Flexibility,
- Commitment to Continuous Learning,
- Planning and Organizing,
- Respect for Diversity,
- Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
- Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
- Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it.
- Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
- Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
- Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
- Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 30 June2020
Related Jobs (11)
Palliative Care Project Coordinator – Integration Project on September 22, 2020 Full Time
Senior Health Advisor on September 11, 2020