Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons for the following post:
POST: LEGAL AID OFFICER
The Midlands State University is a large and complex institution with a large scale of activities that require the provision of competent and diligent legal services on a regular and proactive basis in order to ensure that it complies with its legal obligations in terms of contracts and regulatory requirements and to minimise incidents of legal liability. An in-house legal counsel is to provide expert legal advice to senior level management, board members, university officials and any employee who acts on behalf of the institution on a proactive basis. The university particularly requires proactive legal advice in the areas of contracts, patent protection, internal University proceedings and investigations, technology transfer and commercialization, research contracting and regulation, taxation, public finance regulation, labour arbitration, real estate transactions and construction contracting, student affairs, public records and data privacy, and many more areas that create rights and obligations for the University.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree
- Master of Laws (LLM) in commercial law will be an added advantage
- Experience in, or understanding of, the public sector and/or higher education environment with at least 5 years in a senior management position.
- Familiarity with the governance and administrative structures of the Midlands State University or a comparable higher education institution and how legal issues can affect a University.
- Significant leadership experience managing the work of legal practitioners and other professionals and/or in the representation of large, complex, and highly decentralised organisational clients with multiple stakeholder groups.
- Proven success in providing legal guidance in the context of complex organisations and a deeply held commitment to, and belief in, the value of collaborative decision-making.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with multiple and diverse constituencies, such as faculty, staff, students, legislators, corporate partners, community leaders, the public, alumni, donors, and labour association leaders.
- High ethical standards with a strong commitment to the legal ethics exhibited in the knowledge and practise, and professional responsibility.
- Exceptional analytical, interpersonal, and written and communication skills
- Sound judgment and personal and professional integrity.
Key Leadership Competencies
- Drives efficiency and effectiveness
- Thinks strategically
- Align resources
- Selects and develops talent
- Motivates and inspires others
- Builds relationships
- Resiliency and courage
- Operates with integrity
- Learns and adapts
- Creative problem solver who develops win-win solutions
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to the University’s principal officers and council
- Legal Counsel shall be responsible for establishing and heading the Legal Services Department
- Establishing internal controls to evaluate and protect the University’s legal interests and reduce its legal risks.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements that minimize risks and maximize legal rights
- Represent, together with the University proctors, the University in internal proceedings before the Staff Disciplinary Committee and
- Student Disciplinary Committee
- Keep abreast of legislative changes
- Subject to direction of the University Council and the University’s Principal Officers, the Legal Counsel is responsible for resolving all legal claims and initiating and appealing all lawsuits and administrative proceedings
- Subject to the direction of the University Council and the Principal Officers the Legal Counsel manages outside counsel budgets, issues contracts for legal services, and retains outside counsel on behalf of all University units.
Applicants must submit six sets of applications, certified copies of certificates, transcripts, national identification and Curriculum Vitae giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, experience, present salary, date of availability, contact details, names and addresses of three referees addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar (Human Resources)
Midlands State University
P Bag 9055
Closing date for applications is 24 August 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be communicated to.