Location: The consultant will be hired in Harare however furnished with the provisions of travelling the identified provinces.
Agrishare is a mobile application for smartphone use which was designed for rural and smallholder farming communities by CTDO and Welthungerhilfe in 2017. It provides users with the options of hiring mechanised farming equipment or earning off farm income by hiring out equipment. The application was developed under the Digital Innovations for Zero hunger Project – a BMZ-funded initiative which seeks to improve smallholder farmer productivity through access to mechanised services. As Agrishare is not only a mobile app, but a business, it is of essential importance to ensure that the service extends to the national market. This ensures not only revenue growth but long term sustainability. To achieve this, Welthungerhilfe is investing in doing in-depth market research in order to identify where the best opportunities for the app lie with regards to geography, value chain and demographic characteristics. This will enable the business to improve its marketing activities by having a better understanding of the various segments, scoping the business potential and improved targeting for sales activities.
This ideally will be facilitated using feedback gathered from smallholders that are involved in various forms of commercial agriculture and have scope of using the application. CTDO and Welthungerhilfe intend to conduct a survey on market and customer analysis by interviewing a sample number of these farmers. The participants will be selected from the Harare, Midlands, Mashonaland West, Mash Central, Manicaland and Matabeleland provinces, were the application has been introduced and has scope to be extended. The research in question will be done by a seasoned Agribusiness/Fast moving consumable goods marketer whose objectives will be as follows
The objectives of the consultant:
- To map out the size of the farmer hired service market per province so as to determine market share growth scope;
- To identify the most viable value chains for which mechanised services can be viably availed;
- To conduct a competitor analysis which clearly articulates where farmers have been accessing the mechanised services and how such services have been delivered;
- To identify the existing market gaps in which mechanised services could be availed through Agrishare;
- Identify local partners in which Agrishare could engage in order to improve the distribution/accessibility of Agrishare services.
A comprehensive report covering the specified objectives per province.
The enumerators will be engaged for a period of twenty two (22) working days.
Profile of the consultant
- Education: Bachelor’s degree/qualification in Marketing, Business Studies Agriculture, Economics, Social Studies, Development Studies, Information Systems or any related field.
- Experience: Relevant experience in conducting surveys and data capturing. Preference will be for candidates who have worked in the Agriculture, FMCG space.
- Competency: Computer literacy & familiarity with the use of smartphones. Good presentation skills.
- Language Skills: Fluency in English, Shona and Ndebele
All applicants should submit a CV indicating their experience and referees, accompanied with a cover letter. All applicants should submit a brief proposal of how they would execute this task indicating their fees excluding travel and subsistence. Send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Deadline: 5 July 2020
Related Jobs (30)
Production of a Transitional Justice Monitoring Report on September 18, 2020 Consultancy
Mobile Money Marketing and Operations Manager ( Telecommunications) on September 18, 2020 Full Time