The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates Inc. is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation Team Leader (M&E Team Leader) for an upcoming US Government funded malaria project in Zimbabwe. The 5-year project will work to to strengthen the capacity of the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP) at national, provincial, district, and/or community levels, related to case management and malaria in pregnancy, national policies, social behavior change communication, surveillance/M&E and research, and therapeutic efficacy trails.
The M&E Team Leader will be responsible for the design and implementation of data systems for monitoring and evaluating project support. The M&E Advisor will also work closely with Ministry of Health (MoH) to improve data reporting, analysis and use for decision making. This includes building the capacity of the National Malaria Control Centre (NMCC) staff to collect, manage, and use malaria health information for M&E and surveillance. The results of these efforts will document the success of the project as well as enable the Government of Zimbabwe to ensure effective monitoring of key malaria interventions. This position is based in Zimbabwe and is contingent upon successful award of the contract to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- With guidance from the COP and Technical Director, design and establish a project monitoring and evaluation system, including defining project indicators and sources of data and developing the project performance monitoring plan
- Implement capacity-building activities to increase the ability of key NMCC staff to identify, collect, analyze and report on high quality data in support of the malaria program’s indicators
- Provide leadership for the project’s activities aimed at strengthening and supporting implementation of the country’s malaria surveillance and M&E systems
- Lead the project’s operational research
- Oversee collection, analysis and reporting of data for the project’s baseline and routine project management information
- Prepare and ensure timely submission of project performance monitoring reports and contribute to annual work plans and other regular project reports
- Organize and carry out a capacity-building plan to increase the ability of all project staff to identify, collect, analyze and report on high quality performance monitoring data
- Develop and implement quantitative and qualitative research instruments and research/evaluation protocols
- Support the development of success stories and lessons learned in project implementation
- Present the results of program achievements and outputs in written reports and at conferences and meetings
- Maintain close working relationships with the M&E staff from the NMCC and MoH
- Coordinate with national authorities and international partners planning for and carrying out national household level surveys including a malaria component.
- Supervise direct reports with particular focus on their key tasks and the quality of project deliverables.
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Statistics, Epidemiology or other health related field
- 10+ years of experience monitoring health or malaria-specific programs, particularly designing M&E plans
- Demonstrated expertise in both quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Minimum of 3 years’ practical experience setting up and managing project monitoring and evaluation plans and systems, for USAID-supported projects preferred
- Substantial experience in building capacity of government and/or local partner staff in data collection, analysis and/or use
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy
- Possess outstanding professional reputation and have strong demonstrated interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skills
- Willingness to travel within the country as needed
- Oral and written English language required, additional knowledge of recognized local languages preferred
- Zimbabwean and African professionals are encouraged to apply
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Apply by: 12 June 2020
Related Jobs (3)
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer (Harare) on November 23, 2020 Full Time
National Strategic Information Evaluation (SIE) Officer on October 13, 2020 Full Time