Location: Harare Zimbabwe
Supervisor: Board of Directors and Additional Professional support CVI Representative
SOS Children’s Villages Zimbabwe is a child focused organization and an affiliate of the SOS Children Villages International. It is non-governmental, non-political, non-denominational, and non-racial. Its overall mission is to build families for children in need, help them shape their own futures and share in the development of their communities. To realize the mission of the organization, SOS CV Zimbabwe is recruiting a National Director who will lead the organization.
Mission of the position
The National Director ensures the effective overall direction, operations and performance of the Member Association (MA), by developing and executing core programmes and financial strategies that lead to the sustainability of the organization. The National Director leads and develops the MA with the support from leadership (Board and Management), to ensure effective delivery of programmes and services to children, families and communities within the frame of the MA’s vision, mission and values.
Tasks and responsibilities
Strategic Direction and Governance
Establish, guide, direct and oversee the strategic plans, under direction of the Board, to advance the mission and objectives and promote sustainability and growth of the MA, in line with global strategic plans.
Communicate SOS-KDI policy at the National and Programme levels
Drive operational excellence by ensuring appropriate best practices, processes and technologies are in place.
Drive adherence to corporate governance principles and statutes to ensure compliance at all times and ensure remedial action is taken where necessary.
Ensure implementation of strategies and formulation of policies by delegating appropriate authority levels to key managers, and ensure effective monitoring and reporting of progress, aligned to strategic plans.
Advise and supportthe establishment of effective national management systems and structures, governance systems and statutory requirements.
Review strategy regularly, proactively assess future needs and perform sustainability forecasts to ensure relevance and appropriateness of the MA.
Identify and address problems and opportunities central to business success timeously, and solve critical issues at highest levels.
Oversee the implementation of effective monitoring and auditing systems aligned to agreed standards.
Follow up on reports relating to the development and/or deviation from the expected route by any programme / project within the MA.
Oversee the establishment of corrective measures / improvement plans where standards are not met.
Assess and communicate company mission, vision and values regularly.
Lead by example in organisational ethics and morals, and take strong action against non-adherence to values, ethics and codes.
Present plans, reports and proposals at Board meetings and/or Board sub-committees, and ensure that Board decisions/resolutions are translated into clear actions.
Support the development of the Board and members through initiating orientation and other activities as directed by the Chairperson
- Sustainability and Fund Development
- Oversee the development and implementation of realistic and effective fund development plans and strategies.
- Develop contingency plans in conjunction with key managers to ensure long-termsustainability.
- Drive the creation of sustainable wealth to ensure achievement of strategic targets.
- Ensure long-termfinancial viability by continuously evaluating social, internal and external factors.
- Oversee the National Office (NO) planning and budgeting processes.
- Evaluate financial trends and ratios and manage company’s expenditure within the approved budget to ensure effective cost control and savings under the direction of the Board.
- Review management-and financial reporting and statements to determine progressand status in attaining objectives under the direction of the Board and assist to revise objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions when necessary
- Marketing and Brand Awareness
- Provide strategic and tactical guidance to the MA marketing, branding-and communication strategies and initiatives, together with the Fund Development and Communications department.
- Maintain close contact with internal and external marketing and related stakeholders to build strategic relationships, solicit continual feedback on current initiatives, and understand market needs and perceptions.
- Drive proactive and continuous communication amongst all stakeholders and partners to ensure active and informed involvement on organisation-wide marketing and branding initiatives
- Innovation, Transformation and Process Optimisation
- Evaluate the need for change and transformation initiatives in anticipation of industry, National and International priorities.
- Initiate, lead, authorise and drive initiatives aimed at optimising programmes and operations, improving service delivery and reducing costs within the MA.
- Propose and present new innovative ideas for the MA to the Board and identify opportunities to leverage from partners and other networks.
- Think outside the box to growthe MA and increase awareness.
- Strategic Relationship Management
- Establish and manage relevant strategic partnerships and relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, focused on the rights of children without parental care or at risk of losing their parental care, to ensure enduring business associations to assist in achieving strategic objectives.
- Develop and maintain a positive corporate image with both internal and external stakeholders (including media) to ensure positive response to,perception and trust of the MA.
- Drive and guide the pursuit of advocacy objectives with NGO Child rights forums and in partnership with other NGOs in conjunction with the Children’s Rights and Advocacy Officer.
- Establish sound relationships with relevantgovernment authorities and seek government recognition and support for SOS programmes.
- Oversee cross-national advocacy efforts on children’s issues of National relevance.
- Represent the MA towards provincial and national governments, forums, as well as other key partners / stakeholders in the child-care field together with Programme Directors and the Children’s Rights and Advocacy Officer.
- Support and act as the MA’s representative at affiliations, functions, events etc.
- People Management and Development
- Set medium to long term goals and objectives for subordinates and actively monitor progress of the achievement of objectives.
- Ensure the professional recruitment, orientation, performance management and on-going development of NO management staff.
- Develop and maintain a high performance team, and regularly evaluate performance of subordinates to ensure functional objectives are met or exceeded according to established policies and objectives.
- Assure stable employee relations by managing conflict and creating a positive working environment.
- Oversee workforce planning to ensure team is suitably staffed to meet objectives taking into account various internal and external factors.
- Oversee the implementation drive and management of all people development initiatives to ensure team performance meet required standards.
- Ensure work ethics is of such a nature that employees continuously strive towards improving their own performance.
- Provides technical assistance as and when needed, with the support of the National Management Staff in liaison with Regional Office (RO) (advisory/coordination) staff, and offer special support in times of crisis to all the programmes.
- Ensure that the company culture is maintained and that employees live the values of the MA.
- Oversee the sound management of all resources, and full compliance with international reporting and auditing requirements.
- Maintain a direct interest in a small number of SOS children from each location following their development.
- International Federation –GSC coordination
- Ensure a smooth flow of communication between MA and the RO, including adherence to reporting requirements and maintain effective communication structures and channels.
- Ensure MA’s compliance with
- reporting on developments as per the MA’s Strategic and Annual Plans;
- reporting on programmes development;
- financial reporting, budgeting and accounting requirements.
- Oversee an efficient flow of funds to the programmes and projects.
- Coordinate feedback as and when required from relevant co-workers within the MA during international policy and guidelines development.
- Accommodate research programmes on common and/or crucial topics, as well as piloting some programmes/projects of importance to the international organisation.
- Participate in Regional Meetings and other Forums as determined by the RO.
- Support regional / international initiatives to promote exchange and sharing of experiences, information, and resources where necessary
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- At least 10 years’ experience in developmental work at senior management and leadership positions;
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Law, Public Policy and Social Sciences, A Master’s degree is an added advantage;
- A good understanding of child rights and child development issues;
- Experience in developing, nurturing and implementing social development programmes and fundraising by establishing long-term partnerships with stakeholders who include government, bilateral donors and private sector;
- Strong influential and executive leadership style, an articulate and confident manager able to spur confidence in the organization, working closely with the Board for governance and management;
- A successful record of accomplishment working with and building high-performance teams in a multicultural setting;
- Excellent networking ability, persuasive communication, marketing and fundraising skills;
- Strong managerial and implementation skills;
- Strong strategic awareness, integrating environmental developments, future orientation and a pragmatic view into operational planning and day-to-day work;
- Proactive decision-making based on sound analysis and excellent communication skills;
- Fluent oral/written English skills required, Zimbabwe local languages preferred.
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and photocopies of academic certificates. Applications should be submitted electronically indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line and send to the address given.
NB This position is open only for Zimbabwean Nationals.
Applications that are late do not have a CV or certified certificates attached will be disqualified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. E-mail applications should bear the reference number of the position in the subject line of the email.
Applications including at least three traceable referees should be sent electronically to ESAF.HROD@sos-kd.org
Deadline: 29 October 2020
Related Jobs (42)
Technical Officer – Integrated HIV Services (Harare) on November 29, 2020 Full Time
Protection and Accountability Officer (Bulawayo / Harare) on November 29, 2020 Full Time
Individual Consultant – Evaluation of UNCC:Learn project in Zimbabwe on November 29, 2020 Consultancy