The Zimbabwe HIV Care and Treatment (ZHCT) mechanism will increase the availability and quality of care and treatment services for People Living with HIV (PLWHIV) to compliment the Ministry of Health and Child Care to achieve epidemic control. The project provides technical assistance to the management, coordination and treatment services within the national position. The technical assistance spans across all MOHCC and PEPFAR HIV priority technical areas.
The FHI360 Primary Care Counsellor and Tester will seconded to the MOHCC health facilities to support the provision of quality HIV testing and counselling services. The cadre will work closely with the health facility leadership and the FHI360 District HIV Care and Treatment Coordinator. The cadre will also support the project’s community-based HIV services including community testing, defaulter tracking and community DSD models. The cadre will report to the District HIV Care and Treatment Coordinator and will work very closely with the facility staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide quality HIV testing and counselling services
- Screen patient for HIV testing using the MOHCC screening tool and or HIV Self Test Services
- Ensure facility and community index testing for contacts of index cases
- Provide intimate partner screening and LIVES support or refer LIVES support
- Explore sexual network testing approach at community level and ensuring linkages to care and treatment and work closely with community nurse and ensure HIV index testing for all clients
- Strengthen health facility and community linkages through working closely with MOHCC site nurses and community-based health workers in the development of robust referral systems for PLWHIV.
- Providing enhanced adherence counselling to PLWHIV at both facility and at community level and referring to health facilities and other service providers as maybe needed where required.
- Support the FHI360 Community Nurse to mobilize PLHIV for community DSD models at facility level in liason with facility leadership to conduct community mobilization, demand creation, as well as facilitate the formation and strengthening of community ART refill groups (CARGs) and support groups
- Support defaulter identification, tracking and tracing
- Any other activities as directed by the supervisor
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proficiency in English and relevant local language (Shona, Ndebele)
- Knowledge of community health practices and general medical ethics
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently within a team and health facility settings
- Ability to analyze and report relevant activities.
- Sound knowledge of HIV care and treatment practices in Zimbabwe
- Results oriented and able to meet project deliverables
- Computer literacy is a must
Qualifications and minimum requirements:
- Primary Care Counsellor certificate or equivalent (MOHCC)
- Certificate in Rapid HIV Testing and Counselling is a must
- 1 year experience
- Good five Ordinary level passes including English
- LIVES training an added advantage
- Ability to ride a motor bike is an added advantage
- OI/ ART experience is an added advantage
- Sound knowledge and experience in M&E is an added advantage.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.