Start Date: April 2020
A vacancy has arisen within an international media development organisation that is supporting local civil society organisations in implementing a two year programme that promotes community and citizen access to information and participation in the development and governance processes in Zimbabwe. As such the organisation is recruiting a Programme Officer to contribute to project planning, implementation, monitoring and the evaluation of the programme. The program officer will perform tasks indicated below; thereby improve performance of the partner projects and achieve results.
The Program Officer is responsible for providing program operations and management support for the media support Programme. S/he helps manage project operations, administration, finances, and logistics, and liaises directly with other programme staff. The Program Officer works directly with local partners and consultants to develop and monitor project scopes of work, budgets, and timelines. The Program Officer reports to the Senior Program Manager in order to provide programme officer support, including annual work plans, budget development, and monitoring. S/he is expected to work as a team member with limited supervision. This position is based in Harare with travel to project areas outside of Harare or as may be required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities included
- Collecting data and information for context analysis, and project planning, management, monitoring and evaluation purposes;
- Contributing to programme design, planning and strategy development;
- Assisting in the preparation of funding gap analyses, funding proposals, budget utilization reports and analyses and other relevant documentation ensuring accuracy and consistency with Donor requirements;
- Assist in developing and monitoring annual work plans and budgets, as well as associated deliverables and results/outputs;
- Close oversight over implementing partners’ activities, through periodic field visits and reports;
- Prepare project contract documents (subcontracts, sub-agreements, purchase orders, and Memoranda of Understanding) as requested;
- Evaluating and analysing reports to ensure appropriateness of documentation, expenditures are within allotments;
- Reporting to the Senior Programme Manager of the outcome of reviews;
- Drafts relevant sections of reports (required for donors, management, annual reports, etc.;
- Develop and promote the local implementing partner outreach strategies to ensure enhanced project reach to beneficiaries and presence in targeted areas;
- Undertaking ongoing visits to local implementing partners and project sites;
- Communicating with partners, on project feasibility and effectiveness including monitoring the implementation and collection of results;
- Undertaking follow-up action on programme implementation of activities;
- Drafting changes in programme work plans as required;
- Attending technical cooperation meetings, prepares notes and undertakes follow-up action and coordination related to programme implementation and monitoring;
- Assisting in identification and selection of technical services, supplies and equipment for the programme;
- Assist in development of documents, presentations and other appropriate means of communication to key stakeholders;
- Developing and Implements the communication and visibility plan for the programme;
- Identifies partner capacity needs and facilitates partner training and orientation.
Qualification and Experience
- At least a University degree, preferably in Media Studies, Journalism, or related technical fields. A Master’s degree is preferable;
- At least two years of progressively responsible experience in programme design, administration, monitoring and evaluation or related field;
- Fluency in spoken English and good command of written English is required.
- Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is necessary;
- Experience in community outreach, media development and development communications;
- Experience with European Union -funded projects highly desirable;
- Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications, especially MS-Office applications and utilities;
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job
- Essential professional knowledge of Media Development, Journalism;
- Essential Technical Knowledge of Media Freedom, Freedom of Expression and Access to Information;
- Essential knowledge of the Media sector in Zimbabwe;
- Essential knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Training and Capacity Development in Media related subjects is an added advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi- cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization;
- Initiative, passion and commitment to Media Development, Freedom of Expression and Access to Information; Gender equality and diversity awareness;
- Government development plans and policies;
- Knowledge of local context and country legislation relevant to the media sector
Those that suit the qualifications above should send an application letter and a detailed Curriculum Vitae with at least three referees to email@example.com
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position is open to both women and men equally.