World Food Programme’s (WFP) 2017–2021 Country Strategic Plan (CSP) for Zimbabwe is a significant step forward on WFP’s vision for zero hunger as it addresses food security and nutrition challenges. The objectives of WFP’s food assistance interventions are to collaborate with governments and partners at all levels to maximize the food security and nutrition impact of existing safety net programmes and to offer technical, advisory services related to the design, operationalization and evaluation of the cost-efficiency and effectiveness of food security and nutrition-sensitive safety nets and other food security, nutrition and resilience-building interventions.
The position is required will be stationed at Bulawayo Field Office. The Job holder will report to a Programme Policy Officer or Head of Field Office. They are typically involved in programme or policy activities.
The incumbent is expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities related to monitoring that require some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices and be able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels.
To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance delivery guidelines, processes and procedures.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide project management support to specific and defined programmes and projects of small to moderate size, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Contribute towards the development of projects at the Field Office, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
- Follow data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained. Have oversight over the programme team at the field office.
- Research and analyse policy and operational issues to support senior colleagues in the development of policies, programmes and activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects.
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working leading to improved food assistance packages.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher)||Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.)||Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government||Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.|
- Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Shona and/or Ndebele
- Training and/or experience utilising computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other standard WFP software packages and systems. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
- At least 5 years of progressive professional experience in commerce, development, administration or food aid support.
- Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
- Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
- Has experience in preparation of programme implementation schedules and reports for supervisor and Country Office reviews.
- has experience building capacity of junior staff, cooperating partners and government staff in the implementation of programmes.
- Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
- Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
- Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Experience in utilising computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other standard WFP software packages and systems.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit their application via E- Recruitment attaching a signed application letter and a signed Personal History Form (P11) available at http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc. Applicants are also requested to submit a Curriculum Vitae.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the recruitment processes.
WFP DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING)
Qualified and experienced female applicants from Zimbabwe are especially encouraged to apply