Applications are being invited from suitably qualified individuals to fill in vacant position for a local NGO. The Project Accountant supports the Finance and Administration Manager to provide leadership, managerial and technical direction for all aspects related to financial activities. S/he supports the provision of technical oversight for financial management and capacity building within the project. The position collaborates closely with other positions to ensure application of organisation and donor regulations and policies as well as periodic review of such policies and regulations to ensure that they continue to reflect the current donor environment, regulations and practices. The organisation seeks to recruit a Project Accountant who will provide accounting and financial services necessary for the continued operations of the organization and will take care of all the important accounting functions of the organization ensuring that transactions are correctly captured in the most efficient manner and that day-to-day accounting is effectively and efficiently carried out to support the various programs. The post holder ensures that the project is audit ready at all times.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and mid- year donor financial reports for submission to the donor;
- Prepare and facilitate donor verification exercises assisting in review of financial reports backups and vouching of supporting documents;
- Assist in the preparation and coordination for audit of books of accounts by internal and external auditors;
- Participate in budget preparation exercise·
- Assist in preparing and monitoring donor monthly burn rates reports for various programs to ensure that the budget lines are not exceeded or under spent.·
- Prepare bank reconciliation on monthly basis·
- Maintain account payable account on monthly basis·
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets and budgetary control reports for donors.·
- Assist in development of various accountability vouchers for use in the finance office.
- Carry out correct postings of project expenditures on time, with quality in the system in use (Pastel);
- Regular field visits to all project areas to verify that resources are optimally used.
- Co-ordinate and facilitate the audit of the grant as per the contractual agreement;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- Degree in Accounting or its equivalent;
- A relevant professional qualification(s) such as CIS, ACCA or CIMA is a must;
- Working knowledge of Pastel accounting system;
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications;
- Excellent communication skills;
- At least 2 years of relevant working experience in an NGO environment;
- Knowledge of USAID grants is an advantage;
- Be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
How To Apply
The organisation is an equal opportunity organization and encourages both female and male candidates to apply. Please send a cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, and contactable references and your CV to The Administrator at email@example.com stating the position title in the subject line. Please indicate Vacancy Notice No. 20-05 in the subject line.
Applications not bearing the requirements highlighted in this advert will not be considered.
Important: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Applications deadline Feb. 20, 2020