Title: Project Assistant – Green Climate Fund
Job ID: 31910
Practice Area – Job Family: Environment and Energy – CLIMATE CHANGE
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 10/08/2020
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Education & Work Experience: D-Some College – 6 year(s) experience
Languages Required: English
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One year renewable
Position open to nationals of Zimbabwe.
Under the overall guidance of the GCF Project Manager, the Project Assistant ensures effective delivery of the CO programme by entering and managing data and supporting programme implementation consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The Project Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support the formulation of GCF project strategies and implementation of the project implementation plan focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist the Project Manager in day-to-day management and oversight of project activities;
- Collection, analysis and presentation of background information for preparation of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP, effective application of RBM tools and establishment of management targets (BSC);
- Presentation of background information for formulation of draft project documents, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Support the management of the GCF project focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Creation of a project in Atlas, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project;
- Provision of guidance to the executing agencies on implementation of the GCF project; and
- Presentation of information for audit of the GCF project, supports implementation of audit recommendations.
Provides administrative support to the GCF Project Management Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide PMU-related administrative and logistical support;
- Assist in the preparation of Project Financial and Progress reports;
- Review of the project Financial Reports; preparation of non-PO vouchers for the project;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for the GCF project, register of goods receipt in Atlas; and
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building, management and sharing in the CO and among project partners focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support all the project matters related to M&E and knowledge resources management;
- Ensure all project documentation (progress reports, consulting and other technical reports, minutes of meetings, etc.) are properly maintained in hard and electronic copies in an efficient and readily accessible filing system, for when required by PB, TAC, UNDP, project consultants and other PMU staff;
- Organization of trainings for the project staff and implementing partners;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in the project;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Support the preparation of information for advocacy;
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of the project implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
- Maintains databases of donor information;
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches;
- Responds positively to new approaches.
Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors;
- Maintains database of project files;
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level.;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English required.
- Fluency in Shona and or Ndebele required.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.