Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest, privately-held, non-denominational, and politically independent German non-governmental organizations in the area of development co-operation and emergency relief. Primarily in co-operation with local partner organizations, its task is to contribute to improved income and nutrition for the poorest rural populations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe almost continuously since 1980. Currently, the organization together with its partners has projects in 5 Provinces. Sector focus is on Food and Nutrition security including WASH, and when necessary Emergency response.
Welthungerhilfe is working on a project entitled “Development of Forecast-based Action mechanism” addressing drought induced food insecurity in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya”, briefly called Forecast-based Action (FbA) Project. The multi-country approach applied within the FbA Project by Welthungerhilfe (WHH), requires an operational structure within each project country to address the complexity and scope of in-country interventions (including networking, partnering, contracting, MEAL, etc.)To anchor the mind set for anticipatory humanitarian assistance, including Early Warning Early Action in-country, and build capacities on the job with national stakeholders, there is need for the FbA Country Teams to engage in learning, knowledge management, dissemination and advocacy activities. This is to support and contribute to the paradigm shift of the national humanitarian systems in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya towards early warning and early action.
Further, for the FbA Project to meet the institutional donor obligations towards the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO), FbA Country Teams are established within each of the Welthungerhilfe country offices in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya. For a smooth implementation of the FbA country operations, it is essential to equip the FbA Country Teams with both, special FbA expertise but also with the necessary competencies and experiences regarding project, financial, and operational support from the Welthungerhilfe Country Offices. We are looking for suitable candidates to fill the positions below. If you are prepared to dedicate yourself to carrying out projects under sometimes difficult conditions, and you match the requirements set out below, we look forward to receiving your application.
The Project Co-ordinator will be responsible for overall project coordination.
The Project Coordinator will be expected to:
- Assure the overall in-country project coordination;
- Develop the project set-up and outline;
- Build relationships and coordinate with project stakeholders (including local authorities and communities in the EAP regions);
- Oversee project steps and cooperate with external contractors and partners;
- Lead the entire in-country EAP development process with respective stakeholders and EAP Custodians (including EAP quality assurance);
- Support EAP custodian organizations in EAP development;
- Assure data generation, data management, and data protection within the EAP process;
- Co-ordinate technical, financial and administrative aspects of Project;
- Implementation related activities; Monitor the area’s operational activities and provide feed-back to the Management;
- Follow-up on the project/program area monitoring system in close cooperation with the monitoring team;
- Regularly monitor the execution of Project Implementation related activities and results, provide feed-back to the Management and district team leaders;
- Compile and document relevant information for collaborative activities and missions;
- Design, implement and document meetings, workshops, seminars and other events related to the program’s/project’s field of activities;
- Support short-term consultants and experts of the project/program to fulfil their tasks during their assignment
- Keep informed about topics and developments related to the project’s/program’s activities (e.g. through evaluation of the press, direct dialog, forum participation, public hearings, seminars);
- Develop and organize quality assurance ;
- Participate in identifying needs for external support and advice;
- Propose new initiatives/ improvements, make policy and strategic recommendations;
- Monitor the project progress and provide feed-back to the Management, with the support of and in close cooperation with the monitoring Team;
- Plan Project Implementation related project/program activities and ensure knowledge transfer;
- Coordinate the planning of project/program activities within the defined area;
- Develop project designs, including the preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises;
- Formulate project action plans and synchronise between the planning and budgeting system;
- Develop technical concepts, guidelines, manuals, and procedures, which are ready to be applied;
- Prepare inputs to project/program reports and publications for all required reports ;
- Support research and study activities; Lead the entire country Early Action Plan (EAP) development process with respective stakeholders and EAP Custodians (including EAP quality assurance);
- Assure data generation, data management, and data protection within the EAP process.
Qualifications skills and experience
- A Masters Degree in a course related to the program’s goals, such as Development Studies, Disaster/ Risk Management ;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a professional;
- At least 5 years of experience working abroad in International organisations;
- At 3 years of experience in leading people;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the areas related to forecast based financing, natural hazards, disasters, vulnerability assessment, climate change, resilient infrastructure, and disaster risk management in a similar position within a national or international GO/NGO;
- Familiarity with disaster risk management institutions and governance concepts, emergency preparedness and recovery strategies, and a range of disaster risk financing alternatives;
- Proven record of increasingly responsible experience in planning and managing technical co-operation strategies and relevant learning, knowledge management and advocacy programmes in disaster reduction, emergency response and post-disaster recovery;
- Application of theoretical knowledge in the design, management and evaluation of complex, multi-disciplinary capacity building programmes involving national governments, civil society and international organisations;
- Well proven analytical and writing skills;
- Demonstrated abilities and contributions to policy and guideline formulation, resource mobilisation, team building, team leadership and management.
- Basic command of written and spoken English,
- Basic working knowledge of MS Office and modern telecommunication systems.
To apply for this position please send a detailed Curriculum Vitae and motivational letter to email@example.com stating the position you are applying for in the subject of the email.
Welthungerhilfe is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 17 June 2020