Hivos aims towards an open and green society, inspired by humanist values such as freedom, dignity, responsibility and curiosity. Our objective is that every person can live in freedom and dignity on a planet that is sustainable. We pride ourselves as upholding the principles of Social innovation of generating new ideas and approaches that resolve existing social, cultural, economic and environmental challenges for the benefit of people and planet. We use this frame to stretch Hivos’ view and remit beyond ‘development’ towards a future as a global organization that finds its relevance and impact in the generation of ideas, initiatives and relationships for open and green societies. Hivos has a long track record of being creative and innovative. With social innovation we’re going to take these developments to the next level by working more collaboratively, systematically, innovatively. We will do this by scanning, experimenting and scaling change initiatives and learning throughout the process.
African Crossroads is a community of future-oriented African thinkers and doers which yearly meets to exchange and critically reflect on the most cutting-edge artistic, entrepreneurial, scientific and technological developments anchored in African intellectual and technological traditions. Through round table discussions, art installations, invigorating workshops, prototype demonstrations, and more, this gathering strives to spark deep discussions about the latest inventions and innovations in science, art, and technology. The first edition was hosted in December 2018 in Morocco and the second edition was hosted in November 2019 in Mombasa, Kenya.
Hivos is seeking qualified candidates for the position of a Project Coordinator: African Crossroads 2020
The 2020 edition will take place on October 21, 22, 23 in Harare, Zimbabwe and will be focused on the diversity of African rural innovations. This year, African Crossroads will explore the academic development and expression of the theme, the networking between participants and the showcase of artworks and innovations together with music performances and film projections.
The Project Coordinator will support Hivos on the development of the event “African Crossroads 2020” by addressing the following:
- Coordinate the building of the agenda of the event, with content provided by the participants, under the supervision of Hivos team
- Coordinate and manage the event team and ensure consistent execution of the approved working plans
- Support local partners in execution of the logistics and internal and external communication plans
- Coordinate with the logistics and venues’ teams to ensure the availability and provision of equipment and facilities needed for each of the sessions, according to information provided by Hivos team.
- Coordination of logistics of the participants in close cooperation with local partners (travel, visas, accommodation, local transfers, catering)
- Briefing local staff & volunteers (welcoming crew, security staff, documentation crew)
- Provide strategic thinking and positioning of the African Crossroads for the current and following editions
- Prepare the communication plan of the 2020 edition, and support the communication agenda with the communication agency and Hivos team
- Coordinate the provision of information by Hivos team and partners, to supply the needs of all communication channels (website, social media, media)
- Planning, execution, monitoring and reporting of the event
- Budget management (procurement procedures, contracting, invoicing, payments)
- Liaising with authorities and partners to get the necessary authorizations on due time
- Regularly sharing information internally to keep all members of the Hivos team aligned on the advancement of the event organisation
- Writing a final financial report and a final narrative report on the event
The Project Coordinator should have extensive experience in:
- Event management: team(s) (hosting, security, welcoming), logistics (transportation, visas, accommodations), catering, liaison with external partners, vendors and suppliers
- Experience in Project coordination and management is an added advantage
- Running similar events in Harare, in size and in diversity of participants
- Event organisation and content creation. Working with making an agenda based on sessions proposed by the participants.
- Event promotion, including writing copy and managing participants
- Experience with working with numerous stakeholders from various disciplines in an international environment
- Sensitivity for art forms and;
- Experience in producing art installations and live art performances
- Nice-to-have skills: Experience in organizing digital live streamed events and French speaking
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment. The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Harare. Hivos is an equal opportunity employer.
Contingent upon funding
How to apply
If you meet the above mentioned qualifications, send a letter explaining your motivation and your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 9 March 2020. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Related Jobs (8)
Project Management Assistant (Economic Growth Office FSN-9) on November 14, 2020 Contract