Job categories : Project Management
Vacancy code : VA/2020/B5323/19889
Department/office : AFR, KEMC, Kenya
Duty station : Harare, Zimbabwe
Contract type : Local ICA Specialist
Contract level : LICA Specialist-8
Duration : Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Deadline : 18-Jun-2020
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
The UK government aims to assist Zimbabwe to have effective and legitimate institutions for peace, security and justice, which operate under the rule of law, protect human rights and manage conflict and are accountable to the state, communities and individual citizens. Zimbabwe Security and Justice Project, funded by HMG’s Conflict Stability and Security Fund, is an approach that brings together development, defence engagement and diplomacy to help ensure a prosperous and stable future for the people of Zimbabwe.
UNOPS is providing back office support to this DFID’s security, justice and rule of law projects being implemented in Zimbabwe. Project is in phase 2 of implementation ending on 31 March 2021.
The Project Management Support – Officer reports to the Support Services Manager who provides broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for supporting the Support Services Manager with the day-to-day operations and implementation of the projects under the Office. He/she maintains a close eye on the operational and financial performance, identifies probable issues that may need attention, supports in problem analysis and solution identification as necessary, coordinate resolution as per action-items assigned, drafting required correspondences to stakeholders concerned and preparation of project reports. Candidate will serve as a key member of the team and should be a self-starter and possess excellent organizational skills.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Project Implementation
- Financial and procurement management
- Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Coordination and liaison
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Operational and logistical support
- Support the Support Services Manager in ensuring UNOPS Policies and Procedures, Financial Rules and Regulations (FR&R) are adhered to for efficient project implementation and progress;
- Monitor project financials and advise the Support Services Manager accordingly;
- Track expenditure and take relevant action when required to revise budgets (realignment and amendment);
- Monitor and record best practices and innovative approaches within UNOPS FR&R; identify and show alternative options according to activity needs;
- Managing information flows and overseeing change controls, risk registers and issue management; document and feedback lessons learned and best practices;
- Supporting the project planning process;
- Maintenance of all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes;
- Management of work packages within the project as and when required;
- Assist the Support Services Manager in monitoring of the project quality indicators and supporting on monthly assurance tasks;
Financial and procurement management
- Maintain all supporting project financial documents for audit and review processes.
- Ensure accurate data entry into UNOPS ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system to ensure real time tracking and asset management under the project activities;
- Monitor project budget and financial expenditure and all administrative procedures in line with the work plan;
- Process direct payments and advance requests and prepare project budget revisions;
- Produce financial reports; including developing financial monitoring and reporting formats as per UNOPS requirements;
- Support the Support Services Manager by monitoring budgets, preparing budget forecasts and cash flows and reporting on expense obligations to ensure that deliverables are met;
- Review weekly activity reports and quarterly financial reports with respect to outputs based on work plans and budget forecasts;
- Alert the Support Services Manager of any financial shortfalls and over-expenditures;
- Propose budget revision and initiate corrective action when necessary;
- Coordinate vendor communications, meetings, and reports as necessary;
- In consultation with the relevant stakeholders, assist in preparing amendments of Agreements and
- Budget revisions when applicable
Project monitoring and reporting
- Provide substantive inputs to assist the Support Services Manager in the preparation of project reports and documents;
- Maintain records of project files and other supporting documents;
- Maintain the following records: Quality Register, Configuration Item Records and all other registers/logs delegated by the Project Manager;
- Support the Support Services Manager in maintaining the following: (i.) Electronic Blue File and (ii.) Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by Organizational Directive (OD) 12;
- Manage the compilation, consolidation and analysis of relevant data of the mission;
- Assist the Support Services Manager in the preparation of project completion reports and ensure compliance with contractual obligations;
- As directed by the Support Services Manager, provide oversight support on project implementation activities as directed by the Support Services Manager;
Coordination and Liaison
- Contract management of all contracts (Procurement, HR, Service Contracts etc) under the Project office;
- Liaise with finance and logistics/procurement units in tracking commitments and disbursements;
- Proactively coordinate/liaise with support units on all administrative matters related to contract management;
- As directed by Support Services Manager, liaise with the Programme Management Office (PMO) Team Members to complete project assurance related tasks.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Support the compilation of lessons learned as per defined reporting format;
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building;
- Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques
Operational and Logistic Support
- Assist the Support Services Manager in monitoring all HR requirements and related activities under the Project;
- Assist in the preparation of Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the projects (individual and institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars, etc.), with expert and/or client support as required;
- Providing induction briefings to newly recruited staff and render support to consultants in the course of their assignment;
- In accordance with UN and UNOPS Security Policies, manage travel for all personnel in the Project Team;
- Organize all project and stakeholder meetings as and when necessary, and maintain records of these meetings;
- Identify operational, administrative, financial and other bottlenecks that may impede project delivery-recommend solutions and take appropriate remedial action in consultation with the Support Services Manager;
- Establish and monitor an internal control system for all administrative actions;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Support Services Manager.
- A university Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant experience in Business Administration, Project Management, Operations Management, Logistics, International Relations or other relevant discipline may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree.
- An advanced University Degree in relevant discipline is an asset.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant experience in Project Management support and Operations Management is required;
- At least 2 years experience in budget management and reporting is required;
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Procurement, Finance, HR Management and administrative rules and regulations will be an added advantage;
- Experience in humanitarian emergency operating contexts and UN procurement regulations and rules is an asset.
- Excellent command of English language (oral and written) is required;
- Working knowledge of another, official UN language will be an asset.
Integrity & Inclusion
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self & Others
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
The position is based in a family duty station.It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA Specialist-8
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
* This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Zimbabwean Nationals or persons with valid residence and work permits.*
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
UNOPS Kenya Multicounty Office-KEMC
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the UNOPS KEMC manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The East Africa sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in South Sudan and a portfolio of engagements managed by the Kenya-based East Africa Hub office. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Somalia, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya and several island states