Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Do you have:
- University degree in Civil, Environmental or Agricultural engineering or related field. Post graduate qualifications in a related technical field will be a strong added advantage.
- Minimum five years’ project management / coordination experience in water and sanitation
- Experience in the design and implementation of water and sanitation infrastructure works, in the development of tender dossiers and in the practical supervision of construction / installation work
- Familiarity with the drilling of boreholes, and the installation/ rehabilitation of hand pumps, motorised pumps and solar powered systems.
We are looking for Public Health Engineer who will provide technical leadership in researching, developing and implementing innovative WaSH solutions that reduce risk of morbidity and mortality due to WASH related diseases. The project intends to directly benefit communities through improvements in water infrastructure, water quality at source and household levels, rehabilitation/construction of sanitation infrastructure, capacity building of local authority officials on water point operation and maintenance . The PHE will facilitate the participation of the beneficiaries in the design and implementation of such technological innovations. The PHE will also work together with the project team to prepare and share evidence for influencing policy makers to advocate for wider adoption of successful models.
What we are looking for
Our next of Public Health Engineer will require:
- Experience working in challenging, economically deprived environments where land and water resources are communally owned.
- Experience of integrating engineering / environmental protection measures with socio-economic considerations. Ability to engage proactively with project communities to ensure their full participation, with an emphasis on ensuring the participation of women in the design, implementation and management of activities.
- Strong management, project planning, organisational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Competent & with experience in engineering drawings manually or using Auto Cad, familiarity with GPS / GIS, use of MS Office programs and database management
- Strong ability to communicate effectively and fluent in spoken and written Ndebele is a must, English and Shona spoken and written
This role will give you an opportunity to make a difference in WASH activities, to work with a group of passionate people that are specialists in their operational fields .
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply:
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and respond to three key questions related to your experience in Public Health Engineering. Your application will be shortlisted (rolling in basis) based on your CV and your responses to the above questions. You need not comment on your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
Oxfam is an equal opportunities employer, we are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. NB: This is a national post and it is only open to individuals with the right to reside and work in Zimbabwe. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV/AIDS, people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged groups.
Offered SalaryUSD 25,866.72 per annum