Job no: 498533
Work type: Contract
Location: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Togo, Uganda, United Kingdom, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, The Republic Of, Swaziland, Tanzania, United Republic Of, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Chad, Congo, Congo, The Democratic Republic Of The, Côte D’ivoire, Eritrea, Ethiopia
Categories: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
FCDO’s Africa Regional Department (ARD) is the third largest spending department in FCDO’s Africa Divisions. Oversight of this portfolio has been identified as a key risk due to lack of FCDO presence in many countries where ARD programmes are delivered, and a substantial portion of delivery taking place in insecure or inaccessible locations which limit scope for FCDO staff to monitor delivery through field visits. This makes it difficult for ARD to assure the quality of data reported by partners on the delivery of programme activities and results. FCDO has engaged Tetra Tech (TT) as a third-party monitoring (TPM) supplier to support the verification of programme monitoring in the Africa region across its portfolio of humanitarian, conflict, water, energy, climate change, trade, organised crime, and agricultural development programmes. ARD programmes operate across Africa. Countries include Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Democratic Rep. Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of South Sudan, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The Qualitative Research Consultant will form part of task teams that will deliver a range of TPM products of varying scope and timeframes. Each TPM product will be conducted for a specific ARD portfolio programme in one or more programme locations. With the current COVID-19 related restrictions, some fieldwork is being replaced with desk based work but this will revert back to business as usual once it becomes feasible to travel to programme locations. The Qualitative Research Consultant will be involved in activities including:
- Understanding the programme specific requirements of the TPM study from the FCDO approved Concept Note / Design Document and in discussions with the TT Regional Coordinator and Team Leader
- Understand the workplan, deadlines and task team structure within which the TPM activity should be delivered
- Data Collection
- Lead on developing appropriate research tools (e.g. topic guides) and sample in collaboration with the relevant Regional Coordinator
- Schedule and conduct key informant interviews, document reviews and focus group discussions as necessary by visiting appropriate programme locations
- Manage any national consultants with local language ability if required
- Write summary notes of KIIs and FGDs in MS Word
e. Participate in internal team catch-ups throughout data collection phase
- Analyse the data
- Write a draft TPM report and submit for internal review to TT
- Address any comments merging from the TT review process.
We are looking for mid-level to senior consultants with the following attributes:
- Master’s degree in anthropology, economics, statistics, sociology and other social sciences or a relevant academic discipline.
- At least 8 years of operational experience on international development programmes
- Excellent speaking and writing abilities in English
- Demonstrable experience in writing reports based on primary and secondary research
- Demonstrable experience and expertise in qualitative research methods such as Key Informant Interviews (KIIs), Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) and participatory research
- Country experience in one or more of the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Democratic Rep. Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of South Sudan, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Sector / Programme experience in one or more of the following areas: humanitarian operations, emergency response, conflict prevention, renewable energy, climate resilience, agriculture, transboundary water management, forests, social protection
- Local language capabilities for the countries listed in point 4 above would be highly desirable.
How to Apply
We encourage applications from both national and international consultants. Applications should consist of a 1 page cover letter and a 2-3 page CV tailored to the job description in one single document.
For further enquiries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the reference number.
Applications close: 30 November 2020
Related Jobs (46)
Technical Officer – Integrated HIV Services (Harare) on November 29, 2020 Full Time
Protection and Accountability Officer (Bulawayo / Harare) on November 29, 2020 Full Time
Individual Consultant – Evaluation of UNCC:Learn project in Zimbabwe on November 29, 2020 Consultancy