GOAL is seeking to recruit a Regional Director for GOALs operations in West, North and South of Africa (Rest of Africa). The Regional Director (RD) will be responsible for guiding the strategic development and alignment of GOAL’s existing country programmes in Niger, Zimbabwe, Malawi, & Sierra Leone and strategically developing GOALs presence in the East Africa in line with GOAL’s global strategy.
Reporting to the Director of International Programmes, the RD will be responsible for providing leadership and line management to Country Directors and provide a key management link between Country Teams and GOAL’s HQ team on high level issues relating to a) leadership and Organizational Development, b) Business Development and Partnership and c) Governance and Communications.
Leadership & Organizational Development
- Support and guide Country Directors to develop and implement GOAL’s country strategies in Niger, Zimbabwe, Malawi, & Sierra Leone in line with GOAL’s strategic objectives, as articulated in GOAL’s 2019-2020 plan.
- Develop a Regional Coordination Plan (which includes mainly: cross country learning, staff development plan, external coordination, targeted engagements with donors, coordination bodies etc.)
- Communicate clear expectations, set performance objectives and provide regular and timely performance feedback to Country Directors, including systematic, documented performance reviews.
- Drive smart efficient coordination between country programmes and support systems, with the goal of improving the quality and efficiency of GOAL’s operations, with active engagement in the adoption of technology solutions.
- Oversee GOALs risk management framework in the region in coordination with country teams ensuring that risks are properly reported and addressed including crisis management and Speak Up Complaints.
- In coordination with GOALs Emergency Response Unit, strengthen GOALs readiness to respond to emergencies in the region, in-line with GOAL’s Emergency Response and Preparedness plans.
- Facilitate shared learning across countries and support country programs to incorporate learnings from other countries in project design and operational management.
- Assist the Country Directors with the preparation of strategic planning, annual planning and budgeting for country programmes.
- Foster a culture of innovation in coordination with GOALs Global Innovation Hub and GOAL’s global technical team
- Under the direction of and approval from GOAL’s HQ Team, explore expansion and/or prepositioning of GOAL operations into new territories in the region, in line with GOAL’s strategic objectives.
Collate and communicate emerging trends of relevance to GOAL within the region, such as; insecurity, migration, trade, climate change, civil unrest, donor priorities and any other issues such which will have a direct impact on GOALs programmes in the region.
Business Development & Partnerships
- Develop and expand GOALs network of strategic, regional and global partnerships and assist the Country Director to develop, nurture and expand national partnerships, to allow GOAL to operate smartly and efficiently, promoting better value for money and greater impact.
- In coordination with the GOALs funding and business development unit, provide focused business development support to Country Directors, in the pursuit of strategic funding opportunities and the completion of high-quality proposals, that align with GOAL’s strategic priorities and include multi-annual funding for humanitarian and development programmes.
- Lead GOALs participation in regional-level representation with governments, donors, UN agencies, NGOS and civil society networks and other partners where appropriate.
- Advise and capacity build Country Directors on business development, networking and alliance-building activities, while promoting cross-sectoral engagement with the private sector, government, civil society, universities, research institutions, and other potential partners.
- Manage GOALs relationship with key donor agencies at regional level staying abreast of donor trends and priorities, also ensuring good communications at regional level in relation to existing donor funded programmes being delivered by GOAL.
Governance & Communications
- Facilitate good communications and working relationship between Country Programmes and HQ, including the Senior management Team, the technical support units, finance, HR, Logistics & Procurement, IT, fundraising, communications, compliance and approve high level and strategic deliverables, submissions, processes generated at country level as described in GOALs policies and procedures.
- Host monthly regional coordination meetings with all Country Directors to review current operations, identify and facilitate resource-sharing opportunities between country programmes and to promote effective programming in the region.
- In close coordination with Director of International Programmes, coordinate quarterly meetings to review key programme developments, programme innovation, partnerships, donor’s activity and other regional trends.
- Participate in shaping high value communications messages that communicate the outcomes and impact of its programmes tailored to different audiences.
- Liaise directly with GOALs Global Security Advisor and Director of International Programmes, ensure GOAL’s security systems and processes are in place and being maintained by Country teams.
- Work with specific focal points at GOAL’s HQ, support country leadership in developing and implementing programme and operations policies and procedures with all employees, partners, contractors according to internal and donor guidelines.
- Coordinate with Desk Officers based in HQ who are assigned to support the coordination of operational information between Head Office and the country programmes, particularly regarding donor submissions and contracts, programme and organisational information, and provision of HQ programme support.
Qualifications and Experience
The Regional Director (RD), is expected to have significant management and international experience in senior management positions (minimum 7 years), including having previous experience as a Country Director. A commitment and passion for humanitarian relief and development work is essential. The RD must also have relevant language skills and have the capability to support and oversee program design. The RD will ensure the quality of programs by working closely with the Country Directors and will also develop new programme and funding opportunities, drive performance, and foster a culture of continuous learning across multi country teams.
The RD is expected to be a very strong communicator and with a proven track record in leading diverse teams in multiple locations. Expectations include:
- 7-10 years in country management roles with an international NGO.
- Post-graduate qualification or equivalent relevant experience in a relevant discipline.
- A diverse background in both humanitarian and development programmes at a senior level, strong analytical skills, and the ability to respond and adapt quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work with diverse teams, local government, community leaders, partners (local and international) to work effectively to deliver agreed goals.
- Proven track record in representation and negotiations.
- Ability to manage security and safety issues in fragile and emergency contexts.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to lead, manage and inspire multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, often remotely.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Strong understanding of the mission and values of GOAL and a deep commitment to adhering and leading the commitment to living those values.
- Commitment to regular travel is essential.
Code of Conduct and Accountability within GOAL
GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has values and behaviours framework which defines our code of conduct. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Our package includes a competitive salary, 22 days annual leave and the possibility to join our Health care scheme. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Candidates must be entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Related Jobs (24)
Accountability, Monitoring & Evaluation Facilitator on September 25, 2020 Contract
Quality Assurance Manager – Agricultural and Distribution on September 22, 2020 Full Time