Transparency International Zimbabwe (TI Z) – a non-profit, non-partisan, systems oriented local chapter of the international movement against corruption seeks to recruit a Research and Advocacy Officer based in Harare. Under the overall guidance of the Executive Director and direct supervision of the Team Leader, the incumbent will be responsible for conducting research on governance and corruption in Zimbabwe, contributing to the agenda of policy and decision making in the country and establishing an evidence base for reports and other advocacy materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct various types of research (quantitative and qualitative) as thematically defined;
- Identify and prepare research training materials and tools as necessary for execution of specific research project;
- Design and recommend relevant advocacy platforms for dissemination of information;
- Identifies, develops and undertakes research into areas that can further the work of the organization and strengthen the advocacy function of the organization;
- Contributes to the writing and production of key research reports, publications and proposals;
- Produces both written and oral briefs and presents on topics related to governance and corruption to stakeholders based on reviews of research evidence;
- Provides technical support to other programme areas and stakeholders in project proposal assessments, programme management, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Researching, crafting and developing policy briefs for advocacy work;
- Perform other duties as required by the Executive Director/Team Leader.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline such as Economics, Sociology, Development Studies, Political Science or any other relevant Social Science.
- A Masters in Development Studies, and Social Science will be an added advantage,
- A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in research and publications,
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports;
- Expertise in analysing data using statistical software.
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualities
- Excellent teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally;
- Fluency in English required (written and verbal).
- Knowledge of Shona and Ndebele is an asset;
- Ability to identify relevant policy issues and to develop a strategic approach to research around these issues;
- Must possess highly developed research and written communication skills, with an emphasis on developing and analysing quantitative (statistical) data for discussion papers, submissions, reports and other documents relevant to anti-corruption and corruption at a standard that is suitable for public release;
- Able to negotiate and develop and maintain positive working relationships with numerous stakeholders;
- Must have demonstrated commitment to social justice and anti-corruption;
- Must be able to develop coherent terms of reference for outsourced or collaborative research work;
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite of Packages and any relevant social science internet-based research tools with a bias to statistical analysis software (SPSS/ CSPro etc);
- Required to develop advance aptitude in anti-corruption and corruption work;
- Ability to uniquely and effectively package information is an added advantage;
- Ability to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in at least one other vernacular language is an added advantage.
Qualified people living with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you meet the qualifications and would like to be considered for the position, please send your CV with 3 contactable references and a letter of motivation stating why we should hire you and the value that you will add to the organisation to, with the email subject line “RESEARCH AND ADVOCACY OFFICER” to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 22 June 2020
Related Jobs (34)
Accountability, Monitoring & Evaluation Facilitator on September 25, 2020 Contract
Quality Assurance Manager – Agricultural and Distribution on September 22, 2020 Full Time
Advocating School Readiness Policy Environment and Capacity in Zimbabwe on September 22, 2020 Consultancy