The Zimbabwe Coalition on Debt and Development (ZIMCODD) is a socio-economic justice coalition established in February 2000 to pursue Social and Economic Justice and to facilitate citizens’ involvement in making public policy and practice pro-people and sustainable. Its objectives are to: raise the level of economic literacy among ZIMCODD members to include views and participation of grassroots and marginalized communities; facilitate research, lobbying and advocacy to raise the level of economic literacy and fiscal transparency on debt, national/municipal budgets, trade and sustainable development issues; formulate credible and sustainable socio-economic policy alternatives; and develop a national coalition, and facilitate the building of a vibrant movement for social and economic justice in Zimbabwe. ZIMCODD is the Host of the Southern Africa People Solidarity Network ( SAPSN), which is a Network of social movements in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Region that are driven by the need to offer each other solidarity and spearhead campaigns that are rooted in organic struggles and connect the regional citizenry through community based, national and regional people’s movements. The force that is behind SAPSN is that it is heavily dependent on social movements and alliances mobilizing to challenge rising inequalities, structural causes of poverty and injustices, including violence and political oppression. Social movements are the base for SAPSN.
It is in this regard to fulfil its mandate that ZIMCODD seeks to employ a highly motivated professional with deep understanding of the work of social movements in the region to support in the SAPSN work based at ZIMCODD Head Offices in Harare for a period of one year with opportunities for renewal of the contract based on availability of resources.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director (Head of Secretariat), in coordination with the SAPSN Regional Focal Points and relevant ZIMCODD units at the Head Office, the SAPSN Coordinator will work towards coordinated and efficient efforts in designing, implementing monitoring, evaluation and programmes quality improvement towards attainment of set goals in the current SAPSN Strategy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate for the post of SAPSN Coordinator is expected to work on full- time basis for a period of one year during the assigned period of employment. Among other regional programming and administrative duties she/he is expected to:
- Provide operational, strategic and logistical support towards the implementation of project activities and the fulfilment of the SAPSN obligations as espoused in its Strategic plan document;
- Contribute towards the development and implementation of the Network’s integrated membership recruitment and retention strategy including its periodic reviews;
- Coordinate the research and policy advocacy initiatives of the Network at all levels;
- Facilitate dialogue and engagement platforms between the Network and key stakeholders including SADC Secretariat, governments officials, parliamentarians and private sector in the Region;
- Regular communication with members on key and topical regional issues;
- Develop and maintain membership database, and other relevant partners and establish professional relationships with members, partners and other key constituencies;
- Ensure that the Network’s and regional messages and activities are covered in all its social media platforms and website;
- Develop and Administer a documentation system for the Network in line with supporting a strong digital and institutional foot print;
- Coordinate monitoring efforts, measuring results and impact of programs, activities in liaison with the other relevant units, including reporting on developments and trends in the SADC Region;
- To contribute to the development of strategic alliances and networks between and among social movements and other key stakeholders;
- Represent the Network at high-level dialogue and engagement fora and meetings with the SADC institutions and other stakeholders from the public sector, private sector and civil society in the SADC Region;
- Contribute to the resourcing of the Network through fundraising and developing of sustainability Frameworks beyond donor funding;
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Secretariat.
The ideal candidate for the position of the SAPSN Coordinator should have the following qualifications and abilities:
- Advanced or post graduate degree in any or combination of the following fields: social sciences, natural resources governance, policy studies, economics, development studies, environmental and social sciences, law, or equivalent;
- At least five (5) years relevant experience in working with complex and large development programmes.
- The candidate must be familiar with and have sound knowledge and skills of planning, monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes mainly implemented by social movements;
- Knowledge of the international and regional contexts in relation to social, economic, political and natural resource governance;
- Strong leadership skills are essential including excellent organizational and analytical capabilities, setting priorities, take initiatives and complete deadlines;
- Ensure the values of tolerance, openness, transparency, responsibility, respect, gender sensitivity and solidarity in the discharge of duties;
- Should have a flexible, diplomatic, friendly character, and should be objective, fair and open to cooperation, taking into account national and regional special aspects as well as the political environment;
- Ability to network at high political levels and across the Region to implement the Regional Program and to secure financing for the Network;
- Good understanding of SADC national governments, economic development processes and experience of working with governmental development programmes as well as experience in working/collaborating with civil society;
- Fluency in English and proven record of excellent writing skills in English.
- Knowledge of other regional languages is an advantage.
All interested and suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to send their CVs and a motivational letter to: email@example.com
Deadline: 30 March 2020
Related Jobs (30)
Production of a Transitional Justice Monitoring Report on September 18, 2020 Consultancy
Mobile Money Marketing and Operations Manager ( Telecommunications) on September 18, 2020 Full Time