Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, 3 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Reference Number: SVN2020 002
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Zimbabwe and direct supervision of the Head of Programmes, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Emergency Preparedness and Response Unit (PRU) to ensure that the mission is prepared for and is able to respond in a timely manner to the COVID-19 emergency in regards to the migrants returnees crisis and related displacements in Zimbabwe
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Coordinate the operational, administrative, and financial aspects of the project/programme, including supervision of a project support staff, with a view to ensuring that it is principled, timely, effective and efficient, and contributes to longer-term recovery;
- Work in close coordination with the relevant units, including Migration Health, Finance and Procurement/Logistics, to ensure that project is implemented efficiently and on time;
- Be responsible for project report drafting and advise the Chief of Mission and the Head of Programmes accordingly about potentially required adjustments and emerging complementary opportunities;
- Compile, analyse and summarize the information available within IOM and provided to IOM (including new cases of displacement, available stocks, conflict and political analysis, opportunity cost etc), and recommend possible actions to the Chief of Mission and the Head of Programmes;
- Promote synergies among IOM programmes and actively facilitate cooperation among them, recognizing that the ownership of management rests with all relevant programme managers and sector coordinatorsL maintain strong and regular liaison with the project/programme partners, such as governmental authorities, diplomatic missions, and any other concerned agencies and working groups, aiming at coordinating and promoting new activities and facilitating the implementation of ongoing activities and fund raising for new projects/programmes;
- Support the PRU in leading the Points of Entry (POE) Working Group in order to contribute to the strategic objectives of the Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP);
- Identify and pursue opportunities to link emergency response with early recovery and development, recognizing that the search for durable solutions begins in the immediate aftermath of a displacement;
- Play a support role to the Project Development Officer, IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Programme Managers and the Chief of Mission in the mission to develop project proposals and programmes in line with the evolving context of Zimbabwe; In view of the constantly evolving operating context of Zimbabwe, remain flexible to take on assignments as requested by the Head of Programmes that contribute to the overall objectives of the IOM Zimbabwe mission; Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Education: University degree, preferably in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Development Studies, or any other Social Science related field from an accredited academic institution;
- At least 4 years of professional working experience preferably with an international organization, UN agency or NGO
- Management experience is necessary;
- Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national/international institutions, and NGOs;
- High level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook).
Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Values: Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible;
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct;
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results;
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes;
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate;
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work;
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication;
- Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment
No late applications will be accepted.
Open to Internal and External Candidates.